Peanut rice, a south-indian style kalandha sadham made with peanut spice powder and fluffy cooked rice. A delicious rice recipe, makes a perfect lunch box recipe.
Mixed Rice Recipe | Peanut Masala Rice | Rice Mix spice powder | Peanut Rice Recipe | Peanut Podi | Peanut Podi Sadham | Rice mix powder with peanuts | Peanuts masala powder | Spice powder with peanuts | Vegan and gluten free rice recipe | Quick and easy Lunchbox recipe | Easy Lunch ideas | Kalandha Saadham | Kalantha Satham | Kalanda Sadham for Kanu Pongal | Kanu Pongal Recipe
- Kalandha Sadham | Kalandha Saadham
- Mixed Rice Ideas With a Side of Raita
- Tempting Points to Try this Peanut Podi Sadham
- Ingredients to make Peanut Podi Rice
- Step by Step Instructions to Peanut Masala Rice
- Can I Prep this Peanut Rice, Ahead?
- Peanut Rice | South-Indian Style Mixed Rice Recipe | Rice Mix Powder
Kalandha Sadham | Kalandha Saadham
What is kalandha saadham? In Tamil, Kalandha means Mixed, Saadham means Rice, so kalanda satham literally translates to mixed rice.
On days, when we long for a home cooked meal, but cannot make a detailed one, these rice mix powders come very handy. All south-indian households, will have a small bottle of rice mix powders in the pantry. Thengai podi, Paruppu podi are the usual rice mix powders, and we do make some exotic ones too.
Mixed Rice Ideas With a Side of Raita
Mixed rice recipes are quite easy to make. All you need is fluffy cooked rice and you have a variety of spice powders and chutney to mix with them. Soft and fluffy cooked rice is mixed with rice mix powder. And a crunchy tempering with lots of curry leaves and dal is added to make it more tempting.
Kalandha Sadham served with a side of raita and crisps, makes a hearty meal on a tiring day. At home mint and coriander raita and boondi raita are our favorites. I also make this quick and easy air fryer carrot fries, both the kids fight over this one.
Tempting Points to Try this Peanut Podi Sadham
- This peanut podi is multi-purpose spice powder / podi. You can make mixed rice with it, add it to coconut and make chutney with chilies and tamarind. This podi can be used as garnish on poha, upma etc.
- Quick and easy Rice that can be made for a crowd.
- The spice mix can be made ahead and refrigerated, part of your meal preparations.
- A great make ahead recipe. You can mix the rice with the spice powder ahead. Just before serving, reheat it and add a crunchy tempering.
- Makes a great lunch box recipe.
Ingredients to make Peanut Podi Rice
- Lentils : Peanuts and urad dal are the main ingredients to make the spice powder for this delish peanut rice.
- Spices : Red chilies, coriander seeds , black peppercorns, hing/asafoetida and salt are used. These simple spices add lots of flavor to this kalanda sadham.
- Rice : This is a mixed rice recipe. The spice powder is made separately and mixed with fluffy cooked rice along with crunchy tempering.
- Add-ons : Sesame seeds and desiccated coconut powder. They add a crunchy and toasty texture to the spice powder.
- Tempering : Regular ingredients like oil, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal along with red chilies and curry leaves.
Step by Step Instructions to Peanut Masala Rice
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- In a pan, add 2 drops of oil and roast urad dal, coriander seeds and red chilies . Roast until the dal turns golden brown. Remove it to a flat plate to cool down.
- In the same pan, add another 2 drops of oil, add peanuts, sesame seeds. Towards the end add desiccated coconut . Roast until the coconut turns golden brown.
- Remove the roasted ingredients to the same plate as the dal. Add hing to the hot ingredients. Let this all cool down.
- Once it cools down, take it in a mixer jar, add salt and grind it to a fine powder.
- To Make the Peanut rice, In a pan, add oil, when hot splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves, and red chilies.
- Add chana dal and urad dal to this, let it turn golden brown. Add fluffy cooked rice to this hot tempering and mix well.
- After adding rice, add required amount of peanut spice powder to the rice, mix well. Check and adjust salt, if required.
- Serve the mildly spicy fluffy made peanut rice, with chips and yogurt.
Can I Prep this Peanut Rice, Ahead?
Yes, this peanut podi sadham or peanut rice can be made ahead. It can be prepped ahead in 2 ways.
- You can cook rice ahead, make the spice powder ahead. On the day of serving, make the tempering, mix it with cooked rice and mix in the powder.
- Another way is, mix the cooked rice with the peanut spice powder, refrigerate in an air-tight container a day before. On the day of serving, reheat the rice, make the tempering. Add the crunchy tempering to the rice, mix well and serve it hot.
Peanut Rice | South-Indian Style Mixed Rice Recipe | Rice Mix Powder
- Indian style mixie or any heavy blender
- 2 cups Cooked basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
For the Spice powder
- ¾ cup peanuts
- 8 red chilies
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- a sprig of curry leaf
- 4-5 red chilies
- I have used basmati rice to make this fluffy mixed rice with peanut spice powder. To cook basmati rice, wash and soak basmati in water for 15 minutes. Cook in open pot by adding twice amount of water. When the rice is done, strain the excess water and keep it aside until use.
Lets Make the Peanut Rice Mix Powder
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. In a pan, add 2 drops of oil, roast urad dal, coriander seeds and red chilies until dal turns golden brown. Remove the roasted ingredients to a flat plate.
- In the same pan, add peanuts, sesame seeds, peppercorns. Roast until sesame seeds start popping.
- To this now add desiccated coconut and black peppercorns and hing too. Let it sit in the hot pan for 2 minutes. Remove the roasted ingredients to the same plate.
- Be watchful after adding dry coconut as it roasts quickly and adding it to hot pan, might burn it quickly. Overtly roasted ingredients might cause bitterness.
- Let the roasted ingredients cool down well. Take all the ingredients together in a mixer jar, add salt and grind this to a powder. I prefer to grind it mildly coarse. It adds a nice texture to the mixed rice.
- Remove the ground spice powder to a flat plate. Let it cool down well. Store the ground mix in an air tight container. This can be refrigerated and used later too.
Let us make Peanut Rice Mix Powder
- Keep cooked rice ready in a flat plate. Let us first make tempering for this rice mix powder.
- In a wide pan, heat oil given under 'tempering'. Once hot, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies.
- To this hot oil, add urad dal and chana dal. Roast until the dals turn golden brown.
- To this hot tempering, add cooked rice and mix it well. Add 6-8 tablespoon of peanut rice mix powder and mix well.
- Mix the rice and spice powder well. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Serve this delish peanut rice with rice crisps and a side of yogurt. This spice mix powder makes a great lunch box recipe.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.