Mango millet payasam/kheer, a delicious milk based dessert with juicy mangoes and healthy millet. The recipe uses foxtail millet, cooked in milk and flavored with luscious mangoes.Jump to Recipe
Kheer is the first delicious treat, that happens in every Indian household, no matter what the festival is. We actually don't need a reason to make one. Like at my amma's place, she makes kheer every friday and i make some, whenever i have extra milk, which happens every week.
This mango season, i wanted to try kheer with king of fruits. So , i made this yumm kheer with foxtail millet and mangoes. Since my family loves both the kheer and the mangoes, I made a large quantity of this mango millet kheer.
They relished warm on the same day and enjoyed it chilled the next day. In a way, this kheer is healthy too, with millets, mangoes and milk, never mind the little sugar that binds all the three together, just chill and enjoy.
Follow me on Social Media
- Milk, most of the kheer recipes are made with milk, unless or until you want it vegan, you can use coconut milk or any other plant based milk
- Millet, i have used foxtail millet here, you can replace it with any other millet like barnyard millet or little millet. In case you want to avoid millet, you can use rice/poha/vermicelli/sooji and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Mango puree, The recipe uses fresh mango puree, pulp from 3 kesar mangoes blended together. You can also use canned puree, but since they are already sweetned, adjust the sweet in the kheer accordingly.
- Nuts for garnish, i have used almonds, cashewnuts and pistachios here. You can use any nut of your choice.
- Spices, i have used cardamom, cloves and saffron. I would recommend not to miss any of these.
Recipe Card for luscious Mango Millet Kheer
Mango Millet Kheer
- 3 cups full fat milk
- ¼ cup foxtail millet thinai arisi
- ½ cup sugar check notes
- ¾ cup mango puree, fresh/canned i used fresh mangoes, check notes
- 3 tablespoon almonds roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon cashewnuts roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon silvered pistachios for garnish
- 4 pods cardamom crushed only seeds
- 2 nos cloves crushed
- a generous pinch of saffron
- i have used 3 kesar mangoes pulp for the above recipe. Wash the mangoes, remove the pulp and blend it smooth. Keep aside until use.
- Dry roast the foxtail millet in a pan until blooms a little. By bloom i mean, it will change color to white. Take care while roasting, keep the flame simmer. Remove the roasted millet to a separate plate.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, take the milk, and let it boil in a medium heat. Once it starts to boil, simmer the flame, add crushed cardamom, cloves and saffron to the boiling milk and mix well.
- Now slowly add roasted millet to the milk. Let it boil in a simmer flame and allow the millet to cook. It will take areound 12-15 minutes for the millet to cook. Once it cooks, add sugar to the kheer and mix well.
- By this time, one quarter of the milk would have reduced. Let it sit on the stove for another 15 minutes in a simmer flame. Now add roughly pounded almonds and cashewnuts to the kheer and mix well.
- Remove it from the flame. Let it cool for 10 minutes. Now to this kheer, add mango puree and mix well. Let it sit for 15 minutes for the flavors to mingle well. Serve warm with a garnish of pistachios.
- I have used fresh mango pulp in this recipe, you can also use canned pulp. Since the canned ones are already sweetened, reduce the sweetness in kheer accordingly.
- Add the mango puree, 10 minutes after you take the kheer off the heat. Adding puree to hot kheer might cause the kheer to curdle.
- You can replace the millet in the recipe with rice/poha/vermicelli, adjust the cooking time accordingly
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
More Interesting Kheer Recipes
- Carrot & Moongdal kheer, a colorful kheer made in pressure cooker, with carrots and moong.
- Chennar payesh, a rich kheer made with soft paneer, indian cottage cheese.
- Paal payasam, a classic kheer made with milk and rice
- Red aval payasam, a vegan kheer made with red rice flakes and coconut milk.
- Thengai payasam, another vegan kheer made with coconut and rice and sweetened with jaggery.
Anything with mangoes in it is a hit in our home. Lovely, tempting clicks, Priya.
Wow love your clicks priya, and this is an awesome sweet to make!
I think I will shift to your place next mango season. That way I get all the delicious treats without moving a muscle. This is yummy Priya. Is this one of your new boards?
LOve to have anything with mangoes. Super tempting pics.
Yumm Yumm too good. Love the clicks!!
so healthy with the use of millet
Such a creamy dessert. Using foxtail millet makes it healthy for sure.
I have some foxtail millet and I am going to try this pudding soon.
Thats an excellent click Priya. Love it 🙂 And, the payasam is awesome 🙂 🙂
This is very healthy payasam with the flavours of mango and the nutrition of millets.
A delicious payasam with the goodness of mangoes and millet. Love your recipe .
Omg!! Priya you are making me go crazy. Do you think I can wait till tomorrow morning to try making this delicious kheer.
I love the way this is spiced. The combination of saffron, cardamom and cloves must make an awesome combination!
This is a good way to make use of the millet, must try it sometime. Looks tasty with that mango in it.
A wonderful sweet treat using mango and millet. Looks so creamy and delish. Awesome way to ge the family to enjoy the health benefits of millet.