1 cup red poha/Red Aval
1.5 cups of thin cococnut milk
1 cup thick coconut milk
3/4 cup grated jaggery
2 tbsp raisins, roasted in ghee/oil
handful of broken cashew-nuts roasted in ghee/oil for garnish (miss the ghee for vegan option)
- In a wide pan, add a tsp of oil/ghee and roast the cashew-nuts and raisins. Once they turn golden brown and raisins plump up, remove it from the pan to a plate. Keep aside until use.
- To the same pan, add poha/red aval and roast until they turn crisp. Keep the flame simmer and keep stirring to avoid burning of the aval.
- To the roasted aval, add thin coconut milk and let it cook in a simmer flame, until poha turn soft and mushy. Doesn’t take too long, maximum 5-8 minutes, it will be done.
- While the poha is cooking, take teh grated jaggery in a pan, add 1/4 cup of water and heat, let it melt completely, strain for impurities and keep it ready for use.
- Once the poha/aval is cooked, add the strained jaggery to the payasam, let it cook for another 8-10 minutes. Add crushed cardamoms now.
- After 10 minutes, add the thick coconut milk. Let it sit on the stove for another 5 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Do not allow it to boil, let it be on simmer flame. Remove it from the stove, add roasted cashew-nuts on top and serve warm.