1 Cup dry yellow peas
2 onions, chopped fine
2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped fine
2 green chillies, minced
2 fistfuls of fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
½ teaspoon chaat masala (i used Badshah brand)
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
¼ Cup thinned tamarind juice
Juice from 1 lemon (i used small indian lemon)
- Soak peas overnight, and pressure cook till soft.Cook for only ⅔ whistles, use just enough water to immerse the peas.
- The Peas should be cooked, soft and hold on to shape, when pressed it should go squish-mush!
- Soak a small marble-sized tamarind in ½ cup hot water for 15 minutes, extract juice. Chop onion, tomatoes, coriander leaves.
- Just before serving, take the peas in a mixing bowl. Add onion, tomatoes, chopped coriander, chilies, tamarind juice, chat masala, mix well, top with a generous squeeze of lemon and serve immediately.
- Oh it was yum, yum, yum. Me and my hubby had it ¾ bowls. While the lil fella had just the peas with lil salt and chat masala.