Papad Katori chat, Indian street food, papad shaped into a katori and filled with beans, veggies and crunchy elements. A delicious appetizer, perfect for parties and get togethers.
I m always nervous while making chaat-street food. My friends laugh at me when i say this. I don’t know why, you throw me a tough bread recipe, i would happily accept the challenge and go about it, but chaat, i feel it needs a different magic to make it taste awesome.
Sometimes back i saw this super tempting papad katori chat @ Ruchiskitchen . Ohh it was sooo inviting, i couldn’t stop myself from thinking about it. Finally i gathered my courage to make it and voila loved it. I have adjusted the sesasonings for the stuffings to suit our taste-buds. We paired this yumm katori with hot chai and loved the combo to the core.
What is papad katori chat
Papad katori, papad is a sun-dried rice or lentil based flatbread, which can be deep-fried to make it crispier. It is like the rice papers but a bit more thick. Katori means bowl. So Papad Katori, literally means a bowl made of crisp flatbread.
Papad Katori chat, these crisp bowls are filled with delicious stuffings made of lentils/veggies. Topped with spicy chutneys and crisps. All in all it is an explosion of all flavors served in small cups.
How to make Papad Katori Chat
I have tried this recipe with both South-Indian appalam/urad dal papad and also with the spiced papad. The stuffings for the chat can be your choice. I have used a chickpea salad and topped it with crunchy besan and sev.
You can also use mashed potatoes, onions, carrots and sesaonings along with some chutneys for the stuffing.
To make the katori, dip the papad in plate of water for 30 seconds, remove, dab it in cloth to remove the excess water. Now carefully place the wet papad in to a microwave safe bowl and shape it accordng to the bowl. Now microwave cook for 30 seconds.
Once done, check whether the papad is cooked, there shouldn’t be any wetness, if the papad is still wet at the bottom, microwave cook for another 10 seconds. Remove the microwave bowl out, and carefully remove the papad katori out. Repeat the same for the rest of the papads. Once the papad katori is ready. Fill it with your choice of fillings and serve immediately.
More interesting Indian Street Foods
Papad Katori Chat | Indian Street Food
- Any microwave safe small bowls for shaping the katori
- Mixing bowls for the stuffing
- 4-5 nos Papad/appalam
For the stuffing/Fillng
- 1 can Chickpeas, all liquid drained 400 grams
- 2 nos medium onions chopped fine
- 2 nos Capsicums, i used green ones finely chopped
- 2 nos cucmbers peeled and chopped
- 1 no carrot peeled and shredded
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly pounded black pepper
- Green chutney Check recipe here
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Chaat masala
- Boondi/Sev for garnish
Prepare the filling and the green chutney first
- Let us prepare the filling first. Toss together, chickpeas, onions, capsicum , carrots and cucumber. Mix well.
- Adjust and add the chilli powder, pepper powder, and chaat masala according to your taste. Add the lemon juice, Mix and keep aside until use.
To Make the Katoris
- Keep a flat plate with water and 2-3 paper napkins by side, Dip both the sides of the papad in water, shake off the excess water, place it on the paper napkin, pat dry both the sides.
- I used two of by ice-cream bowls for shaping like katori. I tore the papad into 2-3 pieces. Place the torn pieces against the wall,covering the bottom of the katori, like a cast inside the bowl
- Microwave the katori's for 30 seconds. Do not cook for more time ,the papad might stick to the bowl and cannot be removed easily
- Once done, take the bowl out, wait for 10 seconds, then slowly remove the papad from the bowl. if it is still wet in the bottom, microwave it again for 30 seconds. Repeat the procedure for the rest of the papads.
Assemble & Serve
- Take a papad katori, fill it up with 3-4 tablespoon of filling. Add 1-2 teaspoon pf green chutney, a dash of chat masala, sprinkle some boondi /sev on top and serve.
- I have used chickpeas and veggies for the filling, You can also use mashed potatoes, onions and carrots with spiced yogurt dressing.
- Mix & match the spices, seasonnings and toppings as per your choice.
The final pictures of the Papad katori chat and the step by step pictures have two different fillings, if you can notice. The fillings, spices and seasonnings can be mixed and matched according to one’s preference. Potato filling can be found in this papdi chat recipe
International Street Foods
This uber delicious chat would be a great appetizer in parties, with an array of fillings and chutneys, one can assemble a chat for self and enjoy.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Do you like this recipe? PIN IT
An old recipe post from February 2016, updated with new content for better engagement.