Poha is a quickest breakfast dish to make. I always have a packet in stock to sail me through a blank morning. Yes, mostly i plan my day's cooking the previous day night itself. Though i dont do too much preps, i alteast prepare the menu in my head, so i can work without going blank in the middle.
But then, i m not too well organized everyday, so poha is my rescue-bot on those blank morning's. Kuttu prefers a thin dal along with his poha, we mostly like to have it straight from the stove without any sides. This Moongdal poha is an inspiration from our regular Arisi usli. i don't know whether they call it the same in every household. It is made using rice and moongdal, red chilies and coconut just like Arisi rawa upma/rice rawa upma. This is an easy to make recipe, serve it with a spicy side, you would love it.
1 Cup Thick /poha
½ Cup Moong dal
2 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
Salt to taste
1-2 teaspoon Oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
a generous pinch of hing and turmeric
3 green chilies, slited lengthwise
a sprig of curry leaf, torn into pieces
- Wash Moongdal twice in cold water and soak it in warm water for 20 minutes. Take Poha in a colander and wash it well under running water until it becomes soft. Keep aside until use.
- Take a Kadai/Pan, heat oil given under "Tempering", splutter mustard seeds, crackle cumin, add slited green chilies, hing, turmeric and curry leaves. Saute this for a minute, until green chilies, brown a bit.
- Now add the soaked moong dal to this. The dal would have absorbed most of the water by now. So,add it with any leftover water to the tempering. Saute it for 2- 3 minutes.
- Now add the softened Poha to this and mix well. Add grated coconut and salt to this, If you feel the mixture is too dry, sprinkle little water.
- Let this be on the stove for 5 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Add grated ginger and remove it from stove. Serve hot with any spicy Chutney. I would love to have it with some Coconut Chutney or Ginger Chutney