Strawberries, i m seeing them everywhere near me. After the super gorgeous Strawberry Mocha cake and Strawberry white chocolate cake, here is yet another strawberry recipe in my kitchen. A recipe that is repeated almost every week, or will be repeated until i stop getting fresh strawberries.
Homemade strawberry jam, both my kiddos do not faovr sweet jams, so i never buy jams or chocolate spreads at home. My hubby loves marmalade, if not you find a jam bottle, it will be his marmalade, which i despise, urggghh!😒
When i made fresh strawberry compote for my cakes and desserts my lil one started relishing it with his roti and bread. This time, i made a small jar for him to enjoy. I have added some spices to bring some zingg to the jam, feel free to add or omit any of the spices below. But i would strongly recommend cinnamon and cloves, they really give a nice spice to the jam.
The jam can be refrigerated and stays good for 2 weeks, it never lasts that long at home, 1 week max that’s it. Do try, it is way better than store-bought with lot of preservatives or any colorants.
3 cups chopped strawberries, approximately 500 grams of berries
½ cup – ¾ cup sugar
4 nos cloves
a small stick of cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg powder
4-5 pieces of candied ginger
- Wash and hull the berries and chop them. Take the berries in a heavy-bottom sauce pan, put it on heat in a simmer flame.
- Add sugar to berries and mix well.The sugar will start to melt and the berries will nicely cook in the sugar. Now add the spices, cloves, cinnamon bark, nutmeg powder and candied ginger. I added them as whole, you can also pound them and add it to the jam.
- Now let this cook in simmer, after 10-15 minutes, the liquid will be fully absorbed and berries would lose their shape and all come together as you stir the jam.
- Another way to check the doneness is, put a drop of jam on a plate and it should stay, if it runs, it still needs little more time on the heat.
- Take it off the stove, let it cool completely. Store this in an air-tight container in refrigerator. It will stay good upto 2 weeks, make sure you use clean spoons.
If you are thinking of what to do with fresh strawberries, i have got you covered, here is a list of recipes made using them
Nothing beats the taste of home made jams & I too make a batch during winters when lovely strawberries are available. I loved the addition of candied ginger and few spices too.
They just look like hook for anyone to stop by.
Do v get candied ginger or any alternate?
I too love a good jar of homemade jam! I have made some pineapple jam and that is what I am using for the girls now for their tiffin, hehe… Totally love the color, such a beautiful hue of red…
Awesome bright red colour.. Using the spices give a nice flavour to the jam.. Will try adding it next time..
You got me with “no pectin”. Any additive tha we can avoid is a victory for me… that jam looks amazing and such an easy recipe.
Very bright and lively Colour. Adding spice is a twist here .Even my kids hate jam. I used to make jams of all the fruits but now stopped making.
Good combination also Priya .
Very bright and lively color. Even my kids hate jam. So stopped making. Adding spice is a new twist for me Priya
yumm, love the color of the jam
They are a beauty and I am so surprised that your kids don’t eat jam or spreads ! In a way it’s good. I love the spices you have added to the jam, it’s warm and earthy!
Home made strawberry jam….I can't stop licking myself. Addition of spices must have given it a kick. will try next time.
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
Strawberry jam is classic but I love the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg here..lovely twist!
I love home made jams. Adding spices is a good idea.
I love homemade jam…and the addition of spices is interesting.. when I try jam next time will definitely add this
Wow this strawberry Jam looks awesome, beautiful color!
This looks so delicious and liked the addition of those spices to it.
Home made strawberry jam is always a hit. Love the beautiful color of this jam.