After a very long time i m posting a bread recipe. Though i was baking often and experimenting with Whole grain flours, i didn't get time to click pictures of the bread, since i baked only a small loaf and that too got over immediately. Kuttu one day asked me, why i don't bake a white bread? Why my bread is always rusty in color or dark brown? I tried my best explaining him that why we don't use refined flour at home for baking these days, though he understood, he asked me to bake a white bread at-least once with healthiest option available. Last month, i got to visit Spinney's Super market @ Sharjah and picked some Organic whole wheat bread flour and some Organic rye flour. I baked this bread following the recipe on the flour bag. The bread came out super fluffy and soft and we enjoyed a super delicious sandwich for the next 2 days. Kuttu happy and Mummy too very happy.
500gms Whole Wheat Bread Flour (i used waitrose brand Organic Bread Flour)
7 gms / 1.5 tsp Instant yeast
175ml warm water
175ml warm milk
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil (original recipe didn't use, but i have added)
- Take the flour, yeast and salt in a big bowl. Add honey to this and whisk well to combine. Mix milk and water together. Make a well in the centre and add warm milk-water mix, little by little and start making dough. While kneading add olive oil and knead to make a soft dough. The dough will be soft and elastic. Knead the dough for 10 minutes. I used my food processor to make the dough.
- Grease a loaf pan with oil and line a parchment. Shape the dough into a loaf fitting the length of your loaf pan. I used my 9 x 5 loaf tin for this bread. If baking as two loaves then divide the dough into two and shape accordingly.
- Let it rest in the pan for an hour or until it doubles in size. I kept the pan inside my oven with the lights on. Exactly after an hour, it rose well to the brim of the pan. Brush the top with milk.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, the Original recipe suggested baking @ 220C for 18 minutes, but i baked @ 200C for 22 minutes and reduced the temperature to 180C and baked for another 8 minutes.
- The bread browned well on top and had super crunchy crust and a soft pillowy inside. We enjoyed a super tasty chocolate sandwich on the day i made this loaf.
This is my bread for We Knead to bake#14 - Bake your own bread for February 2014.