After 2 days of deep fried doughnuts, i settled for a baked one today. Though traditionally doughnuts are deep fried yeast bread, today's post is like 2 birds in one stone. yes, this goes for today's Bake-a-thon and as well as Blogging Marathon on the theme Doughnuts.
Ok, now coming to today's recipe Berliner. German Berliner is a sweet pastry, made using yeast dough, filled with jam and deep fried in fat. The yeast dough contains a good deal of eggs, milk and butter. The classical Pfannkuchen made in Berlin consists of two halves filled, stuck together and deep-fried in lard(pig fat), whereby the big bright bulge occurs. The filling is related to the topping: for plum-butter, powdered sugar; for raspberry, strawberry and cherry jam, sugar; for all other fillings, sugar icing, sometimes flavored with rum. But, these days the filling is injected with a large syringe or pastry bag after the dough is fried in one piece.
Since i have already tried the Krafne/Pokladnice, croatian doughnuts which are some what similar to German Berliner,but filled with Apricot jam. I wanted to try these baked versions with chocolate filling inside. i would say it came out good, i might have baked for a tad bit extra time, so the tops turned a bit dry, but then the sugar glaze took care of it.
1.5 tsp instant yeast
1/2 cup Warm milk
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp sugar
2 pinches of salt
Oil for deep frying
100 gms dark chocolate bar
1/4 Cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp of water
2 tbsp of water
- In a large bowl, take flour, yeast, sugar and salt together. Whisk well to mix together. Rub oil/butter into the flour mix. Now slowly add warm milk to this and start kneading a soft dough.
- The dough is pretty easy to handle. Knead the dough for 5 minutes to get a soft dough. Let the dough rest in a well oiled bowl for 90 minutes or until it is double in volume.
- Punch down the dough, roll the dough into an rectangle about 0.5 inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter (about 5cm in diameter), cut roundels of the dough and let it rest on a parchment laid baking pan. i got about dozen doughnts for the above quantity.
- Let the doughnuts rest again for another hour or until it doubles in size. Brush the top with milk and butter.
- Preheat the oven to 220C and bake around 15 minutes or until it is browned. Do not bake more or it will become dry.
- Once they are out of the oven, brush the top again with some butter.
For the Filling
- Melt the chocolate in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Once melted, fill it in a piping bag and punch the sides of the doughnut with the pipping bag and pipe some chocolate into the doughnut.
For the glaze
- Take sugar in a bowl, add water to it and make smooth liquid. Pour the glaze over the doughnuts and let the glaze dry a bit and serve.