Sandwiches are life-saving breakfast menu. Someday’s i have everything ready the previous night, even i plan what to make for the next day. But someday’s are worst, i will be totally blank and will be standing still thinking what to make, while the clock runs in great speed that particular day.
Today was one such good day,adding to that, i woke-up late, blame the winter on-set!! By the time i entered the kitchen, it was already 6 and my kiddo has to leave in another 30 minutes. Thank god, for i got some capsicums cleaned and cut roughly the previous week , quickly made these sandwiches with methi roti and packed his box. yet to know the result, but to my taste-buds it was awesome. Aroma of methi along with capsicum paneer makes a wonderful, filling meal for all the senses.
I made fresh dough for the sandwiches, you can even make it with leftover roti’s or even with bread.
For the Dough
1 cup wheat flour
1 tbsp of dried fenugreek leaves/Kasuri methi
1/2 cup warm water
a pinch red chili powder
a pinch red chili powder
a pinch of turmeric powder/haldi
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp oil
1 Medium-sized Capsicum, thinly sliced (or) 1 Cup Chopped capsicum
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup of Crumbled paneer
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp pav bhaji masala
little less than the usual salt (we will be using cheese in the sandwich)
Tomato sauce/Ketchup for spreading
- Heat oil in pan, when it is hot, add chopped garlic and saute. When they turn brown,add chopped capsicum and saute for a minute or two.
- Next add red chili powder, pav bhaji masala and salt. Mix well. Let it cook for 2 more minutes for the rawness of the masala to escape and the spices to blend well with the veggies.
- Do not add water or cook the veggies more than 2/3 minutes. The idea is to blend the spices with capsicums, while keeping their crunch.
- Next add crumbled paneer, mix well and take it off the stove after 2 minutes. Let it cool.
- Take Flour in a wide bowl. Add Kasuri methi, haldi,red chili powder and salt. Mix well to combine
- Add enough water and knead to make a soft dough. At the end add oil, knead well. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is resting make the stuffing and keep it ready.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls. With the above given measurements you might get approximately 6 balls.
- Roll the dough into not so thick or thin circles. Heat a tava/pan, Cook the roti’s on the tava until you see brown speckles on both sides. Keep it covered until use.
To Make the sandwich (2 methods)
- I make the sandwich directly on the tava. While cooking the second roti, after cooking one side, flip the roti, reduce the flame to simmer, spread the ketchup and filling on the cooked side of the roti, place the cheese and close it with another cooked roti. Apply butter on top and carefully flip it, to toast the other side.
- Please remember to keep the flame LOW while making the sandwich directly on the Tava. You can even make sandwich using a single roti, folding it into half.
- If you are not confident enough to make it directly on the tave, then make the roti’s first, assemble the sandwich separately and then toast it again to make the sandwich, whichever way is convenient to you.