Neer Sundaikaai, never knew we can make turkey berry in brine. This recipe such a keeper, that too if you get fresh turkey berries. I came across this recipe here, since i had some fresh berries in hand and was looking for interesting recipes, i tried this immediately. After making this brine, the turkey berries can be used in variety of recipes.
One such easy recipe is Sundaikaai vathakal or turkey berry saute. All you have to do is sizzle the berries in hot gingely oil and add it to steaming hot rice. I remember having dried berries like this with ghee, it helps to soothe a troubled tummy or any indigestion problem. Amma used to make this for us, as this revives the taste in your mouth, which would be long last after a bout of anti-biotics. If you favor that mild bitterness, then this recipe is for you, try it and let me know how you liked it.
1 cup of Fresh Turkey Berry/Sundaikaai
2 cups of water
1 tsp of salt
- Wash the berries in running water. Take 2 cups of water in a pan, add salt and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Add the washed berries to the boiling water and turn off the stove. Let it cool completely.
- Store the brined berries in an air-tight bottle and refrigerate.
- These berries can be used in variety of recipes, one such is Sundaikaai vathakal or Turkey Berries saute.
To make Vathakal
- Take 2-3 tbsp of berries from the brine. Heat 2 tsp of gingely oil in a tadka pan, add 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Now reduce the flame, add the berries, it will sizzle well. Let it fry for 3-4 minutes, until it gets nicely browned and crispy.
- Remove the berries from the stove. Add this to steaming hot rice, add little salt mix well and enjoy.
- The berries can be made even more crisper if you saute it, for few more minutes in the hot oil, but i prefer a mix of crispy and soggy berries.
- This rice mix is said to be good for digestive issues. Whenever you feel little bloated or a minor gas trouble, this berry saute on steaming hot rice gives a good relief.