- In a mixer take together coconut, tamarind, green chilies and coriander seeds. Grind it to a smooth paste with 1 – 2 tablespoon water.
- In a pan, heat ¼ cup gingely oil, splutter mustard seeds and hing. Now add the ground paste and saute until the rawness disappears. Add salt to this, mix well and let it be on the stove until oil separates. It takes about 10-12 minutes.
- Store this in an air-tight container, this will stay good for 2 days in refrigerator. Can be served as mixed rice or just as a side to curd rice.
To Make the Rice
- Spread the cooked rice on a flat plate and fluff it up with a fork.
- In a small tadka, add a teaspoon of gingely oil, when the oil heats up, add curry leaf, red chilies, chana dal and cashewnuts.
- Let the dal and nuts brown a bit, take it off the stove, pour it over the rice. Add the coconut-tamarind mix and mix well with the rice. Check the taste and adjust salt.
- Serve it warm with your favorite curry or just chips. Makes a yum combination with potato curry for lunch box.