Cabbage-Carrot stir-fry/subzi, a quick and easy dry subzi, with carrots and cabbage, spiced with chilies and coconut. A quick subzi to make for luncbox.
Everyday cooking at home includes a simple subzi, rasam/dal along with rice. Vegetable stir-fry with coconut is something i make regularly at home. I feel it is the freshest way possible one can eat a vegetable, not entirely raw or overcooked, just the right cooking with less spices possible.
My younger one loves carrot, but only raw. He can munch on a carrot like a happy bunny, and doesnt like when it is cooked. Whereas my elder one hates raw carrots and he would run a mile if somebody offers him one. Yes, both are my products, yet totally different.
Like carrots, cabbage is another love-hate vegetable, some like it raw in a salad, pickles some cannot stand it raw because of its smell. I dont prefer to eat cabbage raw, my husband loves it in salads.
Check the video for cabbage & carrot stir-fryJump to Video
This quick cabbage & carrot stir-fry is something all 3 of us agree, i dont count my lil one here, he still doesn't like cooked carrots, so i force feed him.
Ok, let us talk about that mom-ster story someother time again. Coming to today's recipe, I make this Cabbage-carrot stir-fry/subzi regularly at home, eventually my elder one loves this, when served, hot straight from the pan, with some hot rasam rice.
Cabbage & Carrot Stir-fry
- Sauce pan
- Chopper/Food processor (optional)
- Basic grater
- 280 grams shredded green cabbage the weight is after shredding
- 250 grams shredded carrots the weight is after shredding the vegetable
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 nos red chilies green chilies can also be used
- ⅛ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- a sprig of curry leaf
- The measurements of veggies given above is after cutting them. i have used my Bosch chopper to chop both cabbage and carrots.
- If you dont have a weighing scale, then you can use 2-3 medium-sized carrots and half a medium-sized cabbage.
- Wash and chop the veggies and keep the rest of ingredients ready
- Heat oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds, add red chilies, hing and curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds in a medium flame.
- Next add the shredded cabbage and saute for a minute or two. Now add teh shredded carrots and mix well.
- Add salt to this and sprinkle little water. Add freshly grated coconut. cover and cook for 10-12 minutes in a simmer flame.
- The subzi gets ready in minutes. Both the vegetables take very less time to cook. Remove the cover, mix well and take it off the stove.
- Serve this along rice. The subzi can also be packed in lunchbox.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
The day i made this cabbage- carrot stir-fry/subzi, i served it with simple milagu rasam and gujarati dal.
Check out what my BM buddies are doing here.
If you are looking for some similar stir-fry here check Carrot subzi, Beans subzi, Beets stir-fry, and Bok choy stir-fry
Wow that's very unique way of making cabbage and carrot stir fry. Love the idea of using shredded veggies.
Please post more mom-ster stories!! Love this combination of carrot & cabbage. And the rasam and rasam vessel look so pretty 🙂
Love this south Indian style curry. That south Indian platter is welcome anytime in my home.
Lovely looking stir fry. I too add little grated coconut to the stir fries. Looks amazing
simple, homey and comforting platter there and this is how I like cabbage curry too.
My LO too loves to munch on carrots! Yes cabbage has a love-hate relation with the kids. I have never thought of combining these two veggies. Good one Priya!
I too make cabbage, carrot or carrot beans subzi in same way. It is so simple and quick to make side dish and it looks so delicious with loads of coconut.