1 Large Carrot
half a tomato
1/2 Cup toor dal/tuvar dal/yellow split pigeon peas
2-3 tsp homemade sambhar powder
1 tbsp freshly grated coconut
a small lemon-sized tamarind, soaked in warm water
salt to taste
1-2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp hing
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves
- Wash the carrots well, chop them into cubes. Cut the tomatoes into cubes. Extract tamarind juice, it should be about 3 cups.
- Heat oil the pressure cooker, splutter mustard seeds, add fenugreek seeds, hing, turmeric and curry leaves, saute for a minute. Next add chopped carrots, tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add tamarind extract to this, followed by sambhar powder, tuvar dal and salt. Add grated coconut and another cup of water, Mix well. When the mixture starts to boil, close the cooker, put the whistle on.
- Pressure cook in a medium flame for 5-6 whistles or until done. My Cooker needs 6 whistles in a medium flame for the dal to cook.
- Once the pressure falls, open the cooker, Mix well and mash the dal well with the back of a laddle. Check the consistency of the sambhar. I usually add 1/2 Cup – 3/4th Cup of Warm water to it. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve warm with Rice or as a Side to Idly/Dosa.