Today salad is inspired from poha amma used to have during her fasting days. A simple mix of poha, coconut and sugar tossed together. I thought of doing a spicy fruit salad for today, then suddenly the idea of adding poha to it clicked.
I wouldn’t say it was out of the world, but it was a filling salad. May be adding some tropical fruits like pineapple, mango would have imparted a great flavor.
I m sure going to try it again with mango again sometime later. Loved the taste of chili and honey together in the salad, gave a burst of flavors here and there.
1 cup poha/rice flakes, i used thick variety
½ cup freshly grated coconut
1 tablespoon sugar
½ an apple
½ a pear
½ an orange
½ a red plum
handful of green grapes, seedless
handful of almonds, toasted and chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped
2 tablespoon of honey
salt to taste
- Wash poha under running water for a minute, drain well. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Take the poha in a large bowl, add grated coconut,and sugar and mix well.
- Wash all the fruits and chop them into thin slices. Keep the apple and pear slices soaked in lemon juice infused water. I added juice of half a lemon to a bowl and added a cup of water and used that to keep my apples soaked.
- The grapes were seedless, so i added them whole. You can also chop them into two halves and add to the salad. Remove the skin, white pith and seeds of oranges and add the inner part alone.
- Drain the apple and pear from the lemon water, drain well. Add them into poha bowl, add rest of the fruits too. Give it a good toss.
- To this add chopped green chili, honey and salt. Toss well to coat well. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. You can serve it immediately or refrigerate and serve chill.
- Just before serving, add in the chopped almonds . I reserved a ¼ cup of poha, while serving, added the poha first, then spooned the salad from the bowl, topped with chopped almonds.