Keerai kootu, a simple dal made with fresh amaranth leaves and homemade spice powder. A delicious side for rice and roti.Jump to Recipe
Keerai Kootu is a regular menu in our house. I make it at least twice in a week, sometimes even more. Being a vegetarian, we can’t afford to miss keerai/spinach in our diet, for its rich iron content. This Paruppu Keerai Kootu is another house favorite.
Table of contents
Indian Lunch Thali
An Indian lunch thali can be made as elaborate like a feast and simple with a dry curry, dal and rice. Check this delicious spread with Paruppu usli and and vathakuzhambu or this mini south indian thali from vidhya.
To know how a festive thali looks like, check this Andhra Varalakshmi Vratham thali and Sathyanarayana Pooja thali, by harini. This Roti & palak paneer thali is a simple yet delicious North-Indian thali with with roti, subzi, and dal.
Today’s Lunch Menu
Today’s lunch thali is a simple Tamil brahmin lunch. At home my lil one is a big fan of rasam. He is a happy kid with just rice and rasam everyday. Whereas my elder one loves dal. So, most of the days I combine kootu/dal and rasam with a dry subzi for our lunch. Its a win-win for everyone.
- Keerai Kootu
- Jeera rasam
- Mixed vegetable dry curry
- Steaming hot rice
Dal vs Kootu
Kootu and dal are sisters who settled in either side of the country. Dal is mostly North-Indian, whereas kootu is South-indian. That’s the basic difference.
Whereas North-Indian dals use minimal spices like red chilies, garlic and ginger. Masoor dal with veggies, dal palak, langarwali dal are simple day to day dal which pairs well with steamed rice and soft roti’s.
Step by Step Instructions to make Spinach Kootu
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Wash and soak the dals in water for 10 minutes. While the dal is soaking, wash and chop amaranth leaves roughly
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil, when hot, splutter mustard seeds, cumin, hing, a green chili. add chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- To this now add chopped spinach, mix well. Drain and add the dal. Add kootu podi, turmeric powder, coconut and salt to this. Add enough water and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Let the pressure fall on its own. Open, mix well and serve it along with rice with a dollop of ghee.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Dal Recipes
Keerai Kootu | Spinach Dal | South Indian Lunch #2
- 2 bunches Amaranth leaves, roughly chopped approximately 3-4 cups of chopped leaves
- ½ cup masoor dal split red lentils
- ¼ cup moong dal split yellow lentils
- 1 no small tomato
- 1½ teaspoon Kootu podi
- ¼ cup freshly grated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/kadugu
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 no green chili cut into two
- ⅛ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- Take both the dals together. Wash them twice in water. Soak them in water for 10 minutes.
- Wash and chop amaranth leaves roughly. I have used 2 bunches of amaranth leaves. I just cut off the root portion and chop the entire thing along with stem and leaves roughly.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil, once hot, splutter mustard seeds, add green chili, hing and finally cumin seeds. To this tempering, add chopped tomatoes and sauté for a minute.
- To this sautéed tomato, add chopped amaranth leaves and sauté. Add drained dal, along with 3 cups of water.
- Add kootu podi, grated coconut, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Let the pressure fall on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker, mix well and serve the keerai kootu hot with rice. This delicious keerai kootu can also be packed as lunch to office and school.
This delicious and comforting keerai kootu can be served with both rice and roti. I love to enjoy this spinach kootu as such like a soup.
This Mulaikeerai kootu can be packed in lunchbox for school and office. I pack it in vaya lunch box which keeps it warm till 2:00 p.m.