Paruppu usili, a traditional tamil brahmin recipe of vegetable and lentil crumble.Usually made with vegetables like french beans, cluster beans, yardlong beans, methi leaves, banana flower etc.Jump to Recipe
I love to pair paruppu usili with simple rasam. Since Paruppu usili is loaded with lentils, we usually prefer to pair it with simple milagu rasam or more kuzhambu.
How to make Paruppu Usili
To make paruppu usili, we need to soak tur dal and chana dal for an hour along with red chilies. Grind the lentils with little or no water.
The dal mixture can be cooked in two different ways. Steam cook or sautee in oil.
Steam cook the dal mixture and then temper it with oil and vegetables, usually considered the healthier way. The other way is to sautee it directly in oil, cook it until it is separated, then add the vegetable and cook until vegetable is done.
My mom's recipe is to cook the ground dal in oil, and that is how i do it till date. Yes, it consumes more oil, but when you are cooking for 4 or more people the amount of oil per person becomes neglible. To the well cooked dal crumble, add yardlong beans.
Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, sprinkle little water, stir inbetween once or twice. Paruppu usili is ready.
Yardlong Beans Paruppu Usili | Paruppu Usili
- 5 cups Yardlong beans/Karamani chopped
- 1 tsp salt
Soak & Grind
- ¾ cup tuvar dal split pigeon peas
- ¾ cup chana dal gram dal
- 10 nos red chilies round variety
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated coconut optional
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- a sprig of curry leaf
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil plus 2-3 tablespoon extra
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds/kadugu
- ½ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- 2 nos red chilies optional
- a sprig of curry leaf
- Wash and soak both the dals for an hour. Drain and take the dal long with other ingredients under 'soak and grind' and grind it to a coarse paste. Do not grind continously or add water. just pulse to grind it coarse. Once done, keep aside until use.
- In a wide pan, add oil given 'Tempering', splutter mustard seeds, add hing and turmeric powder and red chilies and curry leaves, saute for a minute.
- Next add the ground dal mixture and half the salt. Saute for a minute or two. Cover and cook in a simmer flame for 10-12 minutes. Keep the flame simmer, open and stir it once or twice in the middle.
- Anytime in the middle, if you feel the dal is sticking to the pan. Remove the cover, add 1-2 tablespoon oil, mix well and continue cover & cooking.
- By this time, the dal must be well cooked and separated. add chopped yardlong beans, remaining salt, mix well.
- Sprinkle little water, cover and cook in a simmer flame for 10-15 minutes. Stirring often, until the beans are done.
- Once the beans is cooked, remove the cover, add 1-2 tablespoon oil, mix well. Let it sit on the stove another 5-8 minutes. Take it off the stove and serve along with rice.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
I paired the paruppu usili with a simple paruppu rasam for a complete meal. This recipe doubles up as a salad also, just add 1-2 tablespoon yogurt for a creamy texture.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Dry Subzi's to try
Do you like the recipe, PIN IT
An old recipe posted in April 2016, updated with new content and pictures for better engagement.
Too delicious yardlong beans paruppu usili, love it to the core.
karamani.. my hubby's favorite veggie. Great pick
Didn't realize that karamani is yardlong beans..I love paruppu usli and make with all beans..lovely one..
Yardbeans usili looks great. Never cooked yard beans this way. Yummy!!
Beans paruppu looks nice and comforting.
comforting and homey usli.
Paruppu usili is one of my favorite lentil-veggie combination dish. Such a classic protein rich curry. It looks absolutely delicious.
An interesting recipe Priya. I sometimes get tired of preparing cluster beans and yard beans in the same way. Now I have your recipe to try out as the paruppu usili looks so delicious.
I have never tried Paruppu usili with this combination. This seems to be a protein rich curry with lentils and veges. It looks absolutely scrumptious.
One of my favorite recipes to make and eat. This is so delicious and I absolutely love your pictures! They are so crisp and wants me to take some from the screen.
Paruppu Usili with lentils and veggies sounds like a wholesome nutritious dish. Would love giving it a try.
One of our family favourite recipes to make. This looks so delicious and absolutely nutritious! Loved it!
Parruppu usili looks delcious. Never had this before love to try this out soon. Maybe with rasam, this goes well right?