Being a Ardent Food Fan, the first thing i look for, in my weekend Magazine is the Recipe Section, later i read go for the other sections of the magazine. This Weekend, i got some cookies recipe in the Tabloid!!! Loved the Title of that “From the Spice Jar to the Cookie Jar!!! I immediately went into Kitchen armed with my baking equipment’s!!!! No Joy is Bigger/Better than Baking on a Weekend Morning!!!! The cookies came out gorgeous!!! Loved the taste of pepper and the bite of the choco chips in-between!!!!
1/2 Cup + 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper (Look @ the notes)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
6 tbsp Crisco Vegetable Shortening (if you dont mind the Calories, use Butter)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder (Vanilla Extract)
1/8 tsp fine Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Chocolate or Mini Chocolate Chips( i used Chocolate Chips)
- Mix Together Flour,Cocoa, Pepper, Baking Soda using a Whisk.
- Using a Electric Beater, Beat Butter/Crisco and Sugar together in a Bowl, until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the Flour Mixture and Chocolate Chips to Butter-Sugar Mixture to form a soft dough. Roll the dough to a log shape, cling wrap it and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. I shaped it to 2.5 inch diameter log.
- Preheat Oven to 180C. Line a Cookie Tray with Parchment Paper.
- Take it out of the Fridge, Cut it 1/4 inch thick Disc and place it on the prepared tray, 2 inch apart.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes or until no longer wet looking.Let it sit in the oven for a minute.
|How about some for SANTA???|
- Take it out and Cool it completely on the wire-rack. Store in a air-tight container @ room temperature for a Week.
- I have halved the given recipe and i personally felt the amount of pepper could be more to feel the zing. May be 3/4 tsp -1 tsp for the above measurement.
- Refrigerating the dough is an optional step. The original recipe didn’t require it. Since i have used Crisco in place of butter, i thought my dough was little soft to be handled immediately.
- Do not bake the Cookies more than the given time or the mentioned texture, they might crumble. First batch i baked for 17 minutes, thinking my oven might need a longer time, my cookies crumbled, while taking out of the oven. So i would suggest you to keep a watch from 14th minute.
Sending this to Bake Fest#14, happening @ CooksJoy,
Cookies and Cakes for Xmas, happening @ My Culinary Creations,
Merry Christmas Celebrations , happening @ Ghar Ka Khana,
Christmas Event, happening @ Cook like a bong.