That sparked my interest in cookies too, so now i looking of all possible cookies that he would love to try and inturn i too would come out of that no cookies cocoon, and flutter like a butterfly into the cookies world.
First step in breaking that shell is making these almond shortbreads, an old post, i did 2012. Many of old posts need better pictures, so i have taken the theme : Redoing old posts for this weeks BM, in this series, here is the first set of better pictures for these shortbreads .
The original recipe, from Joy of baking, bakes the cookie in a tart pan and cut them into wedges, i did the same when i baked these in 2012, but today, i tried to refrigerate the dough and cut into roundels and baked them. My lil one is happy, that he got a new snack for his school snack box. These shortbreads are perfect for the festive season, as an edible gift. Do try and let me know how you liked it.
120 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup Whole Wheat flour
1/3 cup almond meal
2 tbsp corn flourr/rice flour (i used rice flour)
1/8 tsp salt
Flaked almonds for decorating the top of the shortbread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170C. Prepare the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl whisk together the flours (wheat, almond, and corn/rice flour) and salt. Add this mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- The dough will be little sticky, slap the dough in a cling wrap, manage to roll it into a log and refrigerate it for an hour. I did the dough in the night and baked it today morning.
- Remove the dough on to kitchen counter, using a sharp serrated knife, cut the dough into roundels, i got around 12-13 rounds. The shape might little funny, flat at the bottom, try to adjust it in your palms to bring it to a round shape.
- Roll the top of the cookie on some flaked almonds, arrange the cookies on a parchment laid cookie sheet and bake them in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes.
- Transfer shortbread to rack and let it cool completely on a wire rack. They mightly little soft while removing from the oven, but once they cool, they will have wonderful, crumbly texture of shortbreads.
- Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container and enjoy with your evening cuppa.
- Oven temperature, varies from oven to oven. If baking in a Gas oven, please keep an eye after 15 minutes, i have noticed my gas oven bakes quicker than my microwave convection oven.
- If plannign to bake them in a tart pan, no need to refrigerate the dough, just pat the dough directly onto a greased tart pan, prick the top of the dough, and bake it in the preheated oven.