Almond Shortbreads, a buttery cookie with whole wheat and almond meal. A delicious cookie for your evening tea and a wonderful gift during christmas
Shortbreads, deliciously, buttery scottish biscuits. I bet no one can resist eating just one of these uttlerly butterly delicious biscuits. My lil one is a die-hard fan of shortbreads. When my elder one was growing up, he kind of lost interest in cookies, so i completely stopped baking cookies in my kitchen.
Now lil one, likes homemade cookies, for diwali i made some nankhatais for friends, he loved them and asked me make some more for him. This sparked my interest in cookies.
The original recipe for this almond shortbreads, from Joy of baking, bakes the cookie in a tart pan and cut them into wedges, i did the same when i baked these in 2012, but today, i tried to refrigerate the dough and cut into roundels and baked them. My lil one is happy, that he got a new snack for his school snack box. These shortbreads are perfect for the festive season, as an edible gift.
The classic recipe of shortbreads, contains flour, sugar and butter. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, incorporate the flour. Refrigerate the cookie dough, so it is easy to handle. Cut them into desired shapes and bake.
In this recipe of almond shortbread we are replacing a part of flour with almond meal. This gives the shortbread wonderful texture. Roll the cookie dough on to some almond flakes and bake for that toasty almond flavor.
Almond Shortbread | How to make Almond Shortbreads
- Convection oven
- 120 grams unsalted butter @ room temperature
- ⅔ cup Whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp rice/corn flour
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Almond flakes for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 170C. Prepare the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. .
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flours (wheat, almond, and corn/rice flour) and salt.
- Add this flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and mix just until incorporated
- The dough will be little sticky, slap the dough in a cling wrap, manage to roll it into a log and refrigerate it for atleast an hour. I did the dough in the night and baked it today morning.
- If baking immediately, then pat the cookie dough on to a tart pan, prick the top of the dough with a fork and bake in the preheated oven.
- Remove the dough on to kitchen counter, using a sharp serrated knife, cut the dough into roundels, i got around 12-13 rounds. The shape might little funny, flat at the bottom, try to adjust it in your palms to bring it to a round shape.
- Roll the top of the cookie on some flaked almonds, arrange the cookies on a parchment laid cookie sheet and bake them inthe preheated oven for 22-25 minutes
- Transfer shortbread to rack and let it cool completely on a wire rack. They mightly little soft while removing from the oven, but once they cool, they will have wonderful, crumbly texture of shortbreads.
- Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container and enjoy with your evening cuppa.
- Oven temperature, varies from oven to oven. If baking in a Gas oven, please keep an eye after 15 minutes, i have noticed my gas oven bakes quicker than my microwave convection oven.
- If planning to bake them in a tart pan, no need to refrigerate the dough, just pat the dough directly onto a greased tart pan, prick the top of the dough, and bake it in the preheated oven.
These delicious almond shortbreads make a wonderul snack with you evening tea and a lovely gift to your dear and near ones during festivities. With Christmas around the corner, try this nutty and butter biscuits.
More Cookie Recipes
- Cardamom Cashewnut choco-chip cookies
- Double Chocolate cookies
- Tutti-Frutti Shortbreads
- Walnut Shortbreads
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter