1 Large Eggplant
2 nos Red Peppers
1 Large Onion, chopped
3 tablespoon tomato paste
¼ sp whole peppercorns coarsely pounded
2 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
- Preheat he oven o 220 C . Wash he eggplant and wipe i down well. Make 3 slits on he skin. Grease it with little oil.
- Keep i on a Oven-safe dish and bake/grill for around 30-40 minutes, or until the skin sulks . Take it off the oven, let it cool.
- In the same pan, place the red peppers, washed and wiped. Grill it for around 20 minutes. turn the peppers to the other side and grill for another 20 minutes. So the skin gets charred and gives a nice smoky flavor.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool. Peel the skin off from the peppers and also the eggplant. Mash them well with our fingers or a potato masher.
- Chop the onion fine. Heat oil in a pan, add the onions and saute until translucent. Next add the mashed pepper and eggplant. Also the tomato paste, pounded pepper and salt.
- Let this cook in a slow flame,until the liquid evaporates and it becomes nice and saucy. Be careful not to burn the bottom of the pan. So, keep stirring at intervals.
- Remove the spread o another clean bowl. Serve it along with toasted bread or any other flat-bread as accompaniment.