For the final day of Dinner Ideas, theme week i present you a very simple and easy to make Stuffed peppers. The filling again can be anything, i once did stuffed peppers with paruppu usli(lentil and veggie stuffing). I used freshly cooked brown rice, for this recipe, if you have leftovers then this is one easy, breezy recipe that can be made in flat 30 minutes.
The chili-salt oil mentioned in the recipe, i didn't use it while doing mine. So, the peppers were a bit bland. I strongly recommend in using it to brush the peppers.
Ingredients3 nos green peppers/capsicums - you can use any color, i had only green, so used it.
1-2 tsp of oil + 1/4 tsp of chilli powder + 1/4 tsp of salt mixed for brushing the capsicums
For the filling
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 cup green frozen peas
1/4 cup frozen corn
3 tbsp chopped cashew-nuts
2-3 tbsp chopped mint leaves
1-2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds/jeera seeds
Salt to taste
- First prepare the filling, Chop onion thinly, Heat oil in a pan, crackle cumin, next add the chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Next add tomato puree, followed by red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and mix well. Add green peas and corn and 1/4 of water. Add salt to this, mix well. Let it cook for the masala to mingle well.
- Once half the liquid is absorbed, add the cooked rice and mix. Let it sit for another 6-8 minutes, for it to become dry. Take it off the stove, add chopped mint and cashew-nuts and mix well. Set aside until use.
- Wash the green peppers well, and cut them vertically into two. Keep the stems intact remove the seeds and the inside white membrane, carefully without tearing up the pepper.
- Now brush the capsicums well with the chili-salt oil inside out. I used my pie-pan to bake the peppers. Use a wide-pan that will accommodate the peppers well. These are not going to rise while baking, so they can fit snugly touching each other.
- Grease the pie pan/baking tray or line it with parchment. Place the peppers inside the pan. Spoon the filling into each pepper , about 2-3 tbsp in each.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and bake for around 15 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil, and bake it again for another 15 minutes. If you like you can top the peppers with some grated mozzarella at this time and bake for a gooey, pepper.
- Once done, remove the peppers from the oven, let it come down to eatable hot, and hog!!!