Barley Vegetable soup, a hearty soup combining soft cooked barley and mixed vegetables. A hearty and healthy soup.
I have never tried making a soup so far, except for the normal rasam or Carrot soup which i have learned recently. So, I took this theme, specifically to learn to make some decent, healthy n filling soups. Today, i m posting a recipe which i bookmarked long back from Raji’s Blog. Raji is a very good friend and a fellow blogger.
Loved her Vegetable Barley Soup, which she posted sometime back. Made them for weekend dinner, Loved it totally. It was very filling and yet light on the stomach. The pav bhaji masala in the ingredient list is noted as optional, but i highly recommend it, as it gives as unique taste and aroma to the soup.
How to make Barley Vegetable Soup
Barley, a whole grain has a chewy and nutty texture. It needs to be soaked for a minimum to 4-5 hours to cook easily. But, now indeed we get quick cooking barley, like the one i got had instructions, no need to soak.
Normally i soak the barley overnight so i can use it the next day for my cooking. Pressure cook the barley until soft. Strain the cooked barley, keep the strained water, it can be used as stock.
You can use your choice of vegetables, i have used onions, tomatoes, garlic, peas and carrots. Saute onion, garlic, chilies and dump the tomatoes and peas. Cook until the vegetables turn tender. i have used chilies and paav bhaji masala for flavoring.
Finally add cooked barley, the stock and required amount of water, let it cook for 4-5 minutes until it reaches the required consistency. Remove from stove, garnish with fresh pepper and coriander leaves, serve hot.
Barley Vegetable Soup
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- 1 no medium tomato
- 1 no carrot
- 1 no onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 nos green chilies finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paav bhaji masala
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or any oil of your choice
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly pounded pepper powder
- fistful of coriander leaves
- Soak Barley for 7-8 hours or according to the package instructions. The barley which i bought, has specific instruction saying no need to soak.
- Clean the soaked barley two,three times in freshwater. Boil the barley in 2 cups of water till it gets cooked well.Strain the barley but do not discard the water. It will be used as stock forthe soup
- Soak the tomato in a cup of hot water and let it sit for ten minutes covered. Then peel and remove the skin of it and chop it finely. Chop the onions and carrots
- Heat oil in pan, add the onions n saute till pink. Next add garlic, chopped chilies n ginger and saute for a minute
- Now add in chopped tomatoes, carrots, green peasand fry these till all the vegetables get tender.
- Add salt and pav bhaji masala. Mix everything and add in the boiled barley
- Add the barley stock and required amount ofwater. I had only ¼ cup of leftover stock, so i topped it with another ½ cup of water.Boil the soup for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander,crushed pepper and let it sit for 5 more minutes. Then take it off the stove, Serve Warm
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Pair this hearty barley vegetable soup with a crusty toast or a simple sandwich for a filling and delicious meal.
Some sandwich recipes
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Do you like the recipe, PIN IT
An old recipe posted in 2013, updated with new content for better engagement