Simple and easy to make Vegetable Chutney for our very own Idly/Dosa. I even use this chutney as a spread for my sandwich. Even your picky-eater won't find out that it is carrots!!! :)
2 Medium Carrots
2 Red Chilies (Long Variety), each broken into 2
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 Medium-sized Tomato
handful of curry leaves
Salt to taste
1 tsp of oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing and turmeric
- Wash the Carrot well. I have kept a separate dishwash scrub for scrubbing the veggies and washing them. Since most of the nutrients are right below the skin of the veggies, don't want to lose them. If you feel other-wise, go ahead and peel the skin of the carrots
- Chop them into Chunks. Chop Onion and Tomato into chunks and garlic into thin slices
- Heat Oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add hing and turmeric. Add Chopped onions, garlic, curry leaves and broken red chilies. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Next dump the tomatoes and saute until they become soft. Next add the chopped carrots and saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and keep it closed until it becomes cool enough to grind.
- Take all the sauted ingredients in a mixer and grind to fine paste, no need to add water. If at all your mixer jerks, add 1/4 cup of water, not more than that.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl. Serve with Idly/Dosa or even use it as a spread on your bread, roti.