Herbed buttermilk rolls, soft and fluffy dinner rolls made with aromatic herbs and garlic. These soft bread rolls can be served with a delicious soup for a complete meal.Jump to Recipe
Dinner rolls, also known as small bread are usually small, round or oblong shaped. These small bread rolls can be had as such or can be enjoyed with scrumptious fillings. Dinner rolls are more versatile to make and to serve. Like these Avocado rolls and pumpkin rolls. made with vegetable puree. Small bread rolls can be made interesting like Cheddar cheese rolls and faluche nu nord, french small bread
Pav bhaji, a famous Indian street-food. Where we pair the soft fluffly dinner rolls with spicy mixed vegetable curry. You can check the recipe here at Pavani’s Page .
How to make Herbed Buttermilk Dinner Rolls
I used by food processor to make the dough for these herbed dinner rolls. You can also knead the dough by hand. Dump the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the processory bowl, run it 30 seconds for it to mix well.
Add half the amount of chopped herbs to the flour mix and add the remaining herbs to the oil. This oil will be added to the dough and also to brush the rolls. Add finely chopped garlic to the flour mix.
Mix buttermilk and warm water and slowly add this liquid to the flour mix and start kneading a dough. Take care while adding liquid, you might not need all the liquid.
Once kneaded, remove the dough to a well-oiled bowl, let it sit for an hour or until it doubles in size. Then punch down the dough, divide into individual rolls . Grease a baking tray, shape the individual rolls into round or oblong shape and place on the tray with a minimum distance between each roll for them to rise. Let this tray rest for another 45 minutes or until the rolls double in size.
Brush the tops with herb oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds and bake them in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Once done, remove them on to a wire rack and let it cool well. Enjoy the rolls warm with you choicest accompaniment.
Condiments to Bread rolls
Herbed Buttermilk Rolls | Dinner Rolls | How to make Small bread rolls
- Convection oven
- Measurings cups and spoon
- Baking tray/pan
- Balloon Whisk/Flour Sifter
- 2 &¼ cups Bread flour All purpose flour can be used
- 2&¼ tsp instant yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk, @ room temperature half yogurt and half water can be used
- ¼ cup warm water bearable hot, not scalding hot/ ice cold
- 3 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup Fresh herbs, i have used fresh coriander, mint, ajwain leaves and rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced, i used small indian garlic variety
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for topping
- I used my food processor to make the dough. Take flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the processor bowl. Run it for 30 seconds for the ingredients to mix.
- Chop the herbs and garlic into fine piece. Add 2-3 tbsp of chopped herbs to the flour mix along with garlic.
- To the remaining herbs, add 1/4 cup of warm oil. It can be used for brushing the rolls and also for baking bread later.
- Mix Warm water with buttermilk. Now slowly add this liquid-mix to the flour and start kneading a soft dough. You might not need all of the liquid, so add slowly. I was left out with 2-3 tbsp of liquid.
- After adding liquid, add 3 tbsp oil and knead for another 3-4 minutes to get a soft and smooth dough.
- Remove the dough to a well-oiled bowl. Let it rest for an hour or until it doubles in size. Once doubled, punch down the extra air from the dough.
- Dust your work area with flour, roll the dough into a log, using a sharp knife, divide the dough into 7 or 8 pieces. I divided into 7 portions. Roll each portion into a tight ball, place it on a greased baking tray. I used by 9 inch pie pan as baking tray.
- Let the rolled balls rest for 30 minutes, Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Brush the rolls with the herb oil. sprinkle sesame seeds and bake @200C for 30 – 32 minutes. If you feel mid-way the tops are turning brown fast, then dent the rolls with aluminium foil and bake.
- Remove the rolls onto a wire-rack, let it cool completely. serve it some warm soup or a spicy gravy for a filling meal.
- Sift the dry ingredients well to get a homogeneous mix. If you are beginner to bread baking use a flour sifter or a balloon whisk to mix the ingredients.
- The temperature of the liquid added to the flour is very important in yeast breads. Too much hot liquid will kill the yeast and too cold will not activate the yeast.
- To know the right temperature, test by dipping your finger in to the liquid, it should be hot but not scalding hot to harm your fingers That is the perfect temperature.
- Kneading the bread dough is very important to gluten development and to get soft and fluffy rolls. When kneading with food processor i usually knead for about 3-4 minutes at medium to high speed. Certain dough would be too shaggy to handle in the processor, such cases i remove it from the processor and knead it with my hand on the kitchen counter.
- Dough needs to be rested in a warm place to rise well. If you live in cold temperature place or your kitchen is too cold, i suggest using the oven with the lights on to help in rising.
- Last and but not least, oven temperature and baking time varies from oven to oven. So baking accordingly.
Serve these brilliantly flavored dinner rolls with a bowl of warm soup to enjoy a complete warm. These rolls can also be served with a delicious gravy on the side.
Soup Recipes to serve along Bread Rolls
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Do you like the recipe? PIN IT
An old post from May 2016, updated with new content for better engagement.