For the final day of tortilla dishes, i went experimenting a little. First i thought of making a simple quesadilla or a wrap. But them saw these delicious taco recipes here. There were 81 interesting taco recipes, loved each one of them. So, i decided to pick one of them and try for our evening snack.
Since i had some broccoli and canned chickpeas, i went ahead and made them as filling and topped it with some lemon cream. The real excitement was in making of taco shells. It was pretty easy to make at home and felt good to hear that crunch while biting into the tacos.
While we both enjoyed the tacos with the stuffing, the kiddos enjoyed the shells as such, crispy and crunchy munching on it!!
5 small whole wheat tortilla (about 3 inches in diameter)
sliced jalapenos, i used canned ones soaked in brine
½ cup canned chickpeas
½ cup broccoli florets
2 tablespoon oil
½ teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon dukkah
salt to taste
For Lemon Cream
¼ cup hung curd or Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 green chili, finely chopped
2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander (i didn't have, so didn't use it)
salt to taste
- Prepare the stuffing first, Take broccoli florets and chickpeas in a large bowl. In another small bowl, take oil and spice mix, mix well. Pour the spice oil over the broccoli and chickpeas and toss well for the spices to coat well. Let this sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a cake tin, spread broccoli and chickpeas in the tray and bake them for 20 minutes, taking it out and tossing it once after 10 minutes. Let it cool, keep aside until use.
Preparing the Tacos
- I had some leftover tortilla dough. Made 5 small portions of it and rolled out 5 tortillas of 3 inches in diameter.
- Cook them on a hot griddle until brown spots appear on both sides. Keep them covered in a tea towel, until you cook them all. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Once done, take your grill shelf that comes with your oven, place the tortilla inverted over two bars of the grill. Bake them for around 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Take it out and let them cool well.
Preparing the lemon cream
- I used hung curd for the cream. Add lemon juice, chopped green chilies and salt.
- Give it a good stir, keep aside until use.
Assembling the tacos
- Place the taco shells on the serving plate. Spoon the broccoli & chickpeas stuffing into it.
- Place 2 or 3 jalapenos and top it with cream and serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately, store the baked tacos in an air-tight container.
- I served two tacos with filling and rest 3 were nibbled by my two mouslings.
healthy tacos..looks soo yum...
Wow! home made tacos sound so yumm. The filling is delicious too.
Wow, tacos rocks Priya, loved that super healthy filling, even i dont get tacos here, cant wait to give a try this way.
i dunno which I liked the most here - the homemade taco shells (and thanks for the recipe) , or the yummy filling (broccoli is my fav) or the lemon cream ! great job Priya !
Wow taco rolls looks awesome with that wonderful filling.
I have always wondered how that shape hold!Thanks for explaining it with pics, now I know how easy it is to make!! The filling is so healthy Priya. Superb post...
Such an interesting way to make tacos..the filling sounds so inviting Priya..I enjoyed all your dishes..and that link sounds such a good resource!
Tacos have a very innovative filling. Broccoli and chickpeas is a very interesting combo.
Making tacos is so fun and I love that you did everything from scratch. Love the filling. I so enjoyed your series and learned so much this week 🙂
I love that you made the taco shells yourself!
The Pumpkin Farm
my goodnesss...so many flavors going in it...and your taco shell looks awesome
Making your own taco shell must have been fun. Love the chickpea-broccoli filling. So healthy & nutritious taco.
your mouslings are real lucky to have such a talented and loving mom. I wish I was one of your mouse(no stretch of imagination you can call me a mousling) ;D
That looks so lovely
Loved that you made the tacos from scratch and that is one healthy filling.
Would love to have these, yummy.