While checking for another one-pot meal from the southern hemisphere, i came across another rice variety from brazil. But then i suddenly remembered my kiddo pestering me for Lasagna for a long time now. He wanted me to make it as part of the December Bake-a-thon.
When there is a one pot spaghetti, why not one pot lasagna? I was too hesitant to try it the non-traditional way, what if everything clumps together and come out like a big mass!!! 😖
But then poor kid, asked me again, why don’t you make it? Shunned my inhibitions away and tried this recipe with some changes.
The original recipe used beef and cottage cheese along with mozzarella and parmesan. I have used just mozzarella and veggies. I also made a light white sauce before adding the veggies, which gave this one pot meal a rich taste.
Needless to say, my elder one was so happy, he tasted it straight from the pan, and totally became Garfield!!! 😆
Source : Kidspot
4 sheets of Lasagna, broken into 3 or 4 pieces each
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water (divided into 2, 1/4 cup each)
5 tbsp of pasta sauce, store bought
1 no capsicum, thinly sliced
1/2 cup mixed vegetables (carrot, peas and beans)
1 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
4-5 nos fresh basil leaves + 4-5 for garnish
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup mozzarella, cut into thin strips @ room temperature. you can increase it to more as per your taste
salt to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan, add butter, when it melts, add the flour and saute for a minute. Keep the flame low, when it gets nicely toasted, add milk and 1/4 cup of water. Stir and cook for a minute, the sauce will thicken nicely.
- After a minute, add the chopped capsicums and mixed veggies. Add red chili flakes, pepper powder and oregano, give it a nice stir.
- Let this simmer together for a minute or two. Now add the pasta sauce, and the other 1/4 cup of water to this. Add the lasagna sheets to this and mix well.
- Cover and cook in a simmer flame for 12-15 minutes or until the lasagna is done. Check the amount of liquid once in the middle, if you feel, it is getting burnt, then add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Once the lasagna sheets are done, it took around 15 minutes for me to get it done, add the cheese and take it off the stove. Keep it closed for another 10 minutes, for the cheese to melt. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve hot.
- Non-stick pan is advised,there is a chance of it getting stuck to the pan, so use a non-stick pan to avoid the mess.
- Keep the flame simmer always, never increase it.
- You can also try adding some cheese while it is cooking, but that also might cause the food to stick to the pan and get burnt, which might spoil the taste.