Apple Ableskivers are Danish snacks made with a delicious apple filling stuffed inside and served with yummy chocolate cream. Ableskivers are nothing but our traditional paniyarams.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
About the Recipe
Ableskivers also called “appleskives” are traditional Danish pancakes in a distinctive shape of a sphere. The name literally means apple slices in Danish, although apples are not usually an ingredient. Ableskivers are not sweet themselves but are traditionally served dipped in raspberry, strawberry, black currant or blackberry jam and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
My kiddos cannot eat with jam or some fruity sauce. So, i made a sauce with their favorite ingredient chocolate. Yes, this dish was a super duper at home. My elder kiddo, the picky eater in our family, loved this fluffy, stuffed with juicy apples and served with lots of sauce on top. These apple ableskivers make a healthy evening snack and filling lunch box.
What the danish call Ableskivers we call it paniyaram in south-india and its part of food culture for eons. So most of the south-indian homes will definitely have the paniyaram pan, pan with holes, the ableskiver pan. If you have one, then it is easy to make, or else i would suggest to do it like a traditional pancake.
- Flour, you can use whole wheat flour or all purpose flour for the batter, i have used 50:50 of both flours.
- Apples , I have used royal gala apples for this.
- Milk, to make the batter, you can also use plant based milk
- Flavors, cinnamon and vanilla extract are used to bring nice aroma to the dish.
- Chocolate cream, oomphs the dish to another level.
How i make it?
Let us make the apple filling for the apple ableskivers first. Heat butter in a pan, add chopped apples to it and saute add sugar and cinnamon powder to it and let it soften and all the liquid get absorbed.
Let the filling rest and cool completely. Now let us make the pancake batter. Since i dont eat eggs, i have used milk in place of egg. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder in a bowl, add milk slowly and whisk to get a pourable batter.
To Make the Ableskivers/Paniyaram
Heat the ableksiver/paniyaram pan, dot the holes with butter, fill half the hole with batter first, add a teaspoon of apple filling in each of them. Fill the hole with some more batter.
Dot them with butter, let it cook for a minute or 2 in a medium flame, flip carefully with a fork or a turn stick and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Take it off the pan and serve it warm with a drizzle of chocolate cream or your favorite sauce/jam.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Interesting Apple recipes
Apple Ableskivers with chocolate cream
- Paniyaram/ableskiver pan
For the batter
- ½ cup All purpose flour/Whole wheat flour/ 50:50 of each
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- ¾ cup milk + 2 tablespoon extra
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter for making the ableskivers
For the filling
- 2 nos apples i have used royal gala apples
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Let us make the filling
- Take a shallow pan, add butter and chopped apples. saute for 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and water.
- Let this cook in simmer until the apples gets soft, add cinnamon powder to this and cook untik all the liquid is absorbed. Take it off the stove.
Let us make the ableskiver/paniyaram
- Take flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix them well with a fork or whisk. Now, slowly add milk and mix well to make a pour-able batter. I have used ¾ cup + 2 tablespoon extra to get a pour-able batter.
- Heat the ableskiver pan, dot the moulds with little butter, pour ½ a ladle of batter into the holes.
- Add a teaspoon of spiced apples into them, Fill them up with another ½ a ladle of batter.
- Add little dot of butter on top, let it cook in a simmer flame for 2 minutes.
- Carefully flip them over using a fork or an ebelskiver turn stick. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cooked abelskivers/paniyaram on to a serving plate. Serve with chocolate whipped cream /plain cream.
Serve this delicious and cute apple paniyarams with the sauce of your liking. i served them with chocolate cream.
If packing these apple ableskivers for breakfast/lunch box, then pack the sauce separately.
Do you like the recipe, PIN IT
Note :An old post, published on 4th September, 2015 updated with new content.