Revithiosoupo, Greek style chickpea soup, vegan recipe with chickpeas and simple spices. I have used canned chickpeas in the recipe, the soup gets ready in 20 minutesJump to Recipe
Soups and salads are my go to options during weekdays, mainly for dinner. So, i m always happy to find varieties for our dinner meal. This vegan chickpea soup has very less ingredients, no fancy sauces or dressing.
With summer at its peak, it has become very tiring to be in the kitchen preparing elaborate meals. Even kids prefer some simple and comforting meals. Like pasta salad, Potato sandwich or pizza sandwich
Why should you make this soup?
- Quick & easy recipe : This delicious chickpea soup takes just 20 - 30 minutes to make.
- Simple ingredients : There is no heat element in the recipe, all you need is oregano and fresh herbs.
- Simple flavors : The addition of lime juice and a dash of pepper takes the soup to another level. Add herbs at the end to enjoy the freshness.
- Chickpeas, traditionally made with raw chickpeas, soaked overnight, cooked until soft. If you have the time to do the traditional way, go ahead. I promise it tastes delicious with canned chickpeas too.
- Vegetables, i have used carrots, celery and onion. You can go ahead and use potatoes too.
- Spices, I have used bay leaf, fresh parsley and coriander. Black pepper to add some heat and lime for some zing to the soup.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Soups & Salad Recipes
Revithiosoupo | Chickpea Soup - Vegan
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas i used canned chickpeas
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 no medium sized carrot chopped celery and carrots together measure 1.5 cups
- 1 no medium sized onion
- 1 no bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbso chopped fresh coriander leaves
- juice of lime
- salt and pepper to taste
To thicken the soup
- 1 teaspoon rice flour mixed with 2-3 tablespoon of soup liquid
- If using dried chickpeas, then soak it for atleast 6-8 hours and cook it with double the amount of water until soft.
- If using canned like me, then drain the liquid, wash the chickpeas in running water and set aside.
- Now let us the get the veggies ready, chop the onions fine, chop celery and carrots into small cubes or thin strips.
- Heat a sauce-pan with oil, add chopped onions, bay leaf to it. Saute until onions get translucent.
- Next add chopped celery and carrots. Add ¼ cup of water and let this cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add drained chickpeas to this and 2 cups of water. Add salt and oregano and let it come to boil and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Check the consistency of the soup, it is generally a bit runny, if you prefer it to be little thick, then mix flour and soup liquid and make a slurry and add this in thin stream to the soup,mix well and let it cook for another 8-10 minutes
- Before removing from heat, add chopped herbs, lime juice to the soup, take it off and let it sit for 5 minutes for the herbs to mingle well. Serve it hot with a dash of pepper on top.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
I served this vegan chickpea soup with Bulgur salad when i made it for our dinner. We missed a slice of crusty bread, if you can pair with some delicious toast then it will be a complete meal.
Looks so inviting Priya..awesome setup..I was sort of pinning on this recipe,now all your dishes have made me go for this!
Even i prepared the same soup and loved it to the core. Beautiful bowl there.
That is one hearty bowl of soup, Priya. Sometimes the non spicy ones take us by surprise!
I have tried a chick pea soup some time back and loved it. This Greek version too sounds so filling and delicious..
healthy and delicious soup
That is such a hearty and easy to make chickpea soup.
That is such a healthy and filling soup
Wow what a wonderful soup Priya .. very healthy , filling and delicious at same time.. lovely share
Really new for me. I think this is perfect for the weather here. Except celery I get everything. Will make this soon. thank you Priya for a wonderful collection of soup recipes. I will be visiting often.
One after another your recipes are so cool... love this space you have created
I'm not a soup and salad person so have a few soups only in my list. This soup is definitely going to make a space in the list being it with my favorite chickpeas
This is perfect for the season, would love to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.
I love the Greek flavors and this soup looks so filling and tasty.
This soup sounds so good with all the Greek flavors. Would love to try it soon 🙂
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
Such a hearty, comforting and delicious soup, right now we are on a soupthon so i will surely try your recipe too 🙂
Always looking out for hearty soup recipes and this one looks delicious.
I love how easy this soup is to prepare, bookmarked and saved to make soon!
The soup looks so delicious and filling . It has the flavours of oregano and the crunchiness of celery. Too good.
I am in my soup season currently. I am constantly on a lookout for new soups. Thanks this one is added todo list. Sounds delicious.
This simple soup is great when you are short on time, especially with canned chickpeas
Alwsys ho for soups and this with chickpeas and Mediterranean flavours is fabulous