Revithiosoupo, Greek style chickpea soup, vegan recipe with chickpeas and simple spices. I have used canned chickpeas in the recipe, the soup gets ready in 20 minutesJump to Recipe
Soups and salads are my go to options during weekdays, mainly for dinner. So, i m always happy to find varieties for our dinner meal. This vegan chickpea soup has very less ingredients, no fancy sauces or dressing.
With summer at its peak, it has become very tiring to be in the kitchen preparing elaborate meals. Even kids prefer some simple and comforting meals. Like pasta salad, Potato sandwich or pizza sandwich
Why should you make this soup?
- Quick & easy recipe : This delicious chickpea soup takes just 20 – 30 minutes to make.
- Simple ingredients : There is no heat element in the recipe, all you need is oregano and fresh herbs.
- Simple flavors : The addition of lime juice and a dash of pepper takes the soup to another level. Add herbs at the end to enjoy the freshness.
- Chickpeas, traditionally made with raw chickpeas, soaked overnight, cooked until soft. If you have the time to do the traditional way, go ahead. I promise it tastes delicious with canned chickpeas too.
- Vegetables, i have used carrots, celery and onion. You can go ahead and use potatoes too.
- Spices, I have used bay leaf, fresh parsley and coriander. Black pepper to add some heat and lime for some zing to the soup.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Soups & Salad Recipes
Revithiosoupo | Chickpea Soup – Vegan
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas i used canned chickpeas
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 no medium sized carrot chopped celery and carrots together measure 1.5 cups
- 1 no medium sized onion
- 1 no bay leaf
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbso chopped fresh coriander leaves
- juice of lime
- salt and pepper to taste
To thicken the soup
- 1 tsp rice flour mixed with 2-3 tbsp of soup liquid
- If using dried chickpeas, then soak it for atleast 6-8 hours and cook it with double the amount of water until soft.
- If using canned like me, then drain the liquid, wash the chickpeas in running water and set aside.
- Now let us the get the veggies ready, chop the onions fine, chop celery and carrots into small cubes or thin strips.
- Heat a sauce-pan with oil, add chopped onions, bay leaf to it. Saute until onions get translucent.
- Next add chopped celery and carrots. Add 1/4 cup of water and let this cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add drained chickpeas to this and 2 cups of water. Add salt and oregano and let it come to boil and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Check the consistency of the soup, it is generally a bit runny, if you prefer it to be little thick, then mix flour and soup liquid and make a slurry and add this in thin stream to the soup,mix well and let it cook for another 8-10 minutes
- Before removing from heat, add chopped herbs, lime juice to the soup, take it off and let it sit for 5 minutes for the herbs to mingle well. Serve it hot with a dash of pepper on top.
I served this vegan chickpea soup with Bulgur salad when i made it for our dinner. We missed a slice of crusty bread, if you can pair with some delicious toast then it will be a complete meal.