The third week of Blogging Marathon #26, This week i will be posting on Soups/Salad theme. I have never tried making a soup so far, except for the normal rasam or Carrot soup which i have learned recently. So, I took this theme, specifically to learn to make some decent, healthy n filling soups. Today, i m posting a recipe which i bookmarked long back from Raji’s Blog. Raji is a very good friend and a fellow blogger. Loved her Vegetable Barley Soup, which she posted sometime back. Made them for weekend dinner, Loved it totally. It was very filling and yet light on the stomach. Me and My hubby had the soup as dinner, felt very light the next morning. Though the pav bhaji masala in the ingredient list is noted as optional, but i highly recommend it, as it gives as unique taste and aroma to the soup.
1/4 Cup Pearl Barley
1 medium Tomato
1 medium Carrot
1/4 Cup Green Peas
1 medium-sized Onion, finely chopped
2 tsp shredded Ginger
2 cloves of Garlic,finely chopped
2 green chilies finely chopped or 1 tsp Green Chilie Sauce
Pav Bhaji Masala- 1 tsp (Optional, highly recommended )
1/2 tsp pepper, freshly pounded
1 tbsp Olive Oil
a fistful of Coriander leaves – Chopped for garnishing
Salt as per taste
- Soak Barley for 7-8 hours or according to the package instructions. The barley which i bought, has specific instruction saying no need to soak.
- Clean the soaked barley two,three times in fresh water. Boil the barley in 2 cups of water till it gets cooked well. Strain the barley but do not discard the water. It will be used as stock for the soup.
- Soak the tomato in a cup of hot water and let it sit for ten minutes covered. Then peel n remove the skin of it and chop it finely. Chop the onions n carrots.
- Heat Oil in pan, add the onions n saute till pink. Next add garlic, chopped chilies n ginger and saute for a minute. I didn’t have green chilies, so used green chili sauce.
- Now add in chopped tomatoes, carrots, green peas and fry these till all the vegetables get tender. Add salt and pav bhaji masala. Mix everything and add in the boiled barley.
- Add the barley stock and required amount of water. I had only 1/4 cup of leftover stock, so i topped it with another 1/2 cup of water.Boil the soup for 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped coriander, crushed pepper and let it sit for 5 more minutes. Then take it off the stove, Serve Warm.