Like any other puttu, thinai/foxtail millet puttu, follows the same procedure of mixing it salt water and steaming then adding the required flavors. Though the process looks like tough, it is very easy once you have the foxtail millet roasted and powdered ready in hand. So, i usually keep a small amount of flour ready, so it is easy to make this thinai/foxtail millet puttu, whenever we feel like having a steaming hot snack, something away from the usual.
This thinai puttu, can be made as breakfast too, i would prefer it a bit savory with some spicy curry, will reserver this reciep for some other time, for now enjoy this sweet thinai puttu
- Take the thinai arisi/திணை அரிசி in a pan and dry roast it in a slow flame. It will flower up well and become crisp. Take care of the flame, keep it medium and keep stirring. Do not burn the millet, it will spoil the taste. Add salt to the water, mix well and keep it aside.
- Once it is roasted,transfer it to a flat plate, let it cool for sometime. Take this in to the small mixer mate jar and grind it to a fine powder. Roasted millet will end up into a fine powder, so the key is to dry roast it well.
- Once powdered, transfer it to a flat plate, sprinkle the salted water onto the powdered thinai/foxtail millet powder. Do not sprinkle all the water just ⅔ sprinkles that’s it.
- Now start mixing the sprinkled water and the powdered millet together, you should be able to hold the flour in your fist and when pressed, it should hold shape and when crumbled it should crumble well. Add jaggery and fresh coconut, mix well.
- Take two small bowls/silicon moulds or a flat earthen ware will also do good. I used three steel katori’s/bowl, grease the bowls, fill the bowls with the millet flour mixture. I filled till half their capacity.
- Cover the bowls with a piece of parchment paper, to avoid water dripping into the bowl while steaming. Steam cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the steamer, let it cool for 2 minutes, the carefully unmould it on to a serving plate. Add toasted nuts & raisins. Serve Warm.