Kuttu wanted me to bake something spooky for halloween. I don't know where does he learn the term halloween. He wanted me to make Vampire Cupcakes or Ghost cakes. Luckily this month's Home Baker's Challenge too was Halloween themed and Nalini suggested Spooky Witch fingers recipe also. When i showed him that, he asked me to bake it for him. But had his conditions.
The almonds must be peeled and it should be only half almond in a finger, coz that will only look like a nail it seems!!! hmm, Kids these days!!!
He also wanted me to color the fingers green, since i was against using artificial colors, i said "No" to that alone.Here you go, Spooky Fingers for Halloween!!!!
1/2 Cup Butter. @ Room Temperature
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar/Icing Sugar
1 tbsp Flaxseed meal, Mixed with 3 tbsp of Hot water (Replacing one Egg)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour/Maida
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
30 nos Whole Almonds
- Mix Flaxseed meal and hot water together and keep aside until use. Soak Almonds in Hot water for 30 minutes. Remove the peel and keep aside until use.
- Sieve together All Purpose Flour, Salt and Baking Powder.
- In another bowl, Using a Electric beater, cream butter and sugar until creamy/Fluffy. Add the Flaxseed water to it and beat well to mix.
- Add Sieved Flour, Vanilla extract and mix well using your hands. The dough will be very soft and will come together very easily.
- At this stage, cling-wrap the dough and refrigerated for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Pinch a gooseberry size balls out of the dough and roll it into a 3.5 inch rope. place it on the baking tray. Using the blunt side of the knife make markings on the dough for knuckles. You can also pinch on the sides of the markings to make it little bulge and look like knuckle. Stick an almond for the nail.
- Repeat the same with the rest of the dough. I made fingers out of the entire dough and baked them in batches. i baked 8 @ time and Kept the rest of the fingers in the fridge until use.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes depending on your oven settings. Keep an eye after 16 minutes. Mine were done after 17 minutes.
- Take it out when it starts browning on top. It will be little soft while taking out, it will turn crisp once cooled.let it cool on the wire rack completely, then store in an air-tight container. Makes an excellent evening snack for kids.