Weather here is turning pleasant. There was a sudden bout of rain too. We don't have a rainy season here, like in Chennai. People here badly miss rain and when it happens, we never leave the chance of enjoying it with some hot, steamy snack and a cup of chai.
This dhokla i made on one such rainy day. Our love for dhokla has grown manifold after tasting home-made khaman dhokla, Now i have started making it with other veggies too.These green peas ka dhokla, was lovely in terms of taste and also looks. Loved the fresh green color of the dish and the tempering on top is the highlight, the crispy sesame seeds , gives a great taste and texture and makes eating an enjoyable experience.
Source : Tarla Dalal's Non-fried snack
1 cup green peas (i used frozen)
1 cup besan/gram flour
2-3 green chilies
1/2 tsp shredded ginger
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1.5 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp baking soda
salt to taste
oil for greasing
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 sprigs of curry leaves
a pinch of asafoetida
- Take Peas, green chilies and ginger in a mixer, grind to a fine paste. Since i used frozen peas, i didn't add any water, if the mixture is dry, then add 2-3 tbsp of water to it while pureeing.
- In a wide bowl, add besan/gram flour, peas puree, salt, sugar, combine well. Add around 1/2 Cup - 3/4 Cup water to make batter of pouring consistency.
- Just before steaming, add the baking powder and 2 tsp of water. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased thali. I used two 6-inch flat plates. Tap the thali twice for even spread of the batter.Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. When done, take it out of the steamer and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a second, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Pour the tempering over the dhoklas.Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- If serving late, heat it in a microwave for 20 seconds and serve warm