Sarkarai Pongal/Sweet pongal is one of the star recipes of Tamilnadu festivities. An important dish made during the Harvest Festival of Tamilnadu. Thai Pongal, thanking the Sun God for his abundance.
This sweet rice is made using the freshly harvested rice and lentil, adding sweet jaggery and fresh ghee topped with nuts and raisins. Amma usually makes it in Vengala paanai, with turneric leaves neatly wrapped around its neck and we gather near the stove to shout “Pongalo Pongal” when the rice-lentil froths out of the vessel. It is such a pleasure to celebrate as a family. Back then never knew we would be missing all that celebrations, if known would have enjoyed it a bit more. hmm. Neverthless, away from home, i try to celebrate the festival with the same sprit and soul. Here is how i make this delicious pongal at home.
1/2 cup Raw Rice
1/4 cup Moong Dal
1/2 cup powdered Jaggery (tightly packed)
2-3 tbsp of Ghee
1 1/2 cup of Milk
1 1/2 cup of Water
Cashews and Raisins for Garnishing
- In a Heavy-bottom Pan, roast rice and dal together. It gives out a nice aroma while roasting. Once done, add milk and water, and simmer the flame.
- Let the Rice and dal get cooked well. to a mushy state.
- At this stage add the jaggery and mix well. When the jaggery melts and mixes well with rice and dal, add ghee and mix well.
- Once the mixture starts turning dry, Put off the flame. In another pan, add some ghee and roast cashews and raisins and add it to the Sweet Rice. Serve Hot
- To make the recipe in the pressure cooker. Just mix rice and dal. Add the nrequired liquid(milk-water mixture) to it and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
- Let the pressure come down on its own. Melt jaggery in water and strain for impurities. Now take the cooked rice-dal back to stove, add jaggery water to it and proceed as given above.
Sending this to Festive Rice Event @ Torview.
With this post, i m happy to announce My Blog’s Birthday. Actually i should have Celebrated this last week, but i was busy with some personal work. A Big Thank You to all my Friends who encourage me visiting my blog, taking their time out and reading my every single post and giving their valuable comments. Every Single Comment of yours means a lot to me. Hope to Keep this Hobby turned passion Going!!! Happy Blogging Fellas!!!! Have a Great Day!!!