But as we grew up, we forgot this humble and Nutritious porridge. Now again after so many years, i have started to have this for my breakfast. Actually during my stay in Chennai this was my breakfast everyday and sometimes i have it as my lunch with other dry curries!!! :).
- In a heavy bottom pan add the ragi flour and water, mix well without any lumps. Take it to the stove, cook in a low flame, keep stirring , the water will be absorbed and it will start turning to a thick porridge. Turn off the heat when it comes together as thick-gooey mass.Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Take the cooked porridge in a blender jar, add yogurt,1/2 Cup buttermilk, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt.
- Blend together, to get a smooth liquid, If you feel it is too thick, add another 1/2 Cup of Buttermilk and Blend it frothy.
- Serve it tall glasses and call it a smoothie, or as a porridge in bowl and get your very own froth mustache!!! 🙂
- You can Cook the Ragi the previous night and refrigerate or keep it @ room temperature and make smoothie the next day.
- The Fermented ragi is even more tasty and also high in Nutrition. This is the way My Mom and her mom make ragi porridge.