Agurk Salat, danish pickled cucumbers, an easy to make condiment, with fresh cucumbers and vinegar. An instant pickle,that doesn’t require any cooking or maturing time, and are ready to use.
Who doesn’t love pickles? Indian cuisine, has a wide variety of pickles, pickles that take days to mature to quick pickles like agurk salat. Indian thali is incomplete without pickles.
In South-india we have brined pickles like Turkey berries in brine and Gooseberry in brine. Brine pickles have a longer shelf life and they are very easy to make and great on taste. Even now, i have a bottle of brined gooseberries in my refrigerator, i love to enjoy it with simple curd rice or add it to chutney’s.
Today’s recipe pickled cucumbers, is an easy recipe to make and definitely a handy condiment to serve with sandwiches/burgers or any food that needs an acidic kick.
- Cucumbers, I have used Lebanese green cucumbers.
- Vinegar, i have used white distilled vinegar
- Spices, i have added peppercorns. if you prefer you can fresh herbs like rosemary.
Agurk Salat | Danish pickled cucumbers
- 2 nos Lebanese cucumbers
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp black peppercorns pounded roughly
- 2 pinches salt
- Wash the cucumbers well. If you prefer, you can peel the cucumbers, but I have left it as such.
- I have used a 250grams jam bottle. Make sure the bottle is clean.
- Slice the cucumbers thin. Fill the jar with sliced cucumbers.
- In a saucepan, take vinegar and add sugar, heat the solution until the sugar dissolves.
- I added 2 tbsp of water to dilute the strong flavor of vinegar. Take it off the heat. Add salt and pounded pepper to the solution.
- Let the solution sit for 5 minutes, and let it cool. Pour the solution into the cucumber bottle. Let it sit for an hour minimum. Keep it refrigerated and serve it along with meat dishes.
- These pickled cucumbers can be used in sandwiches. They will stay good in the refrigerator for a week.
I used these pickled cucumbers as a topping for my eggplant toasties.