Barley buttermilk, a refreshing and cooling summer drink, made with barley, buttermilk and jazzed up with simple spices.
Barley drink | how to make barley conjee | Kanji with barley | Summer drink with barley | Refreshing summer drink | Conjee with barley | How to make barley kanji | Barley porridge
Barley porridge, most women would have tasted this during pregnancy. Barley is a natural diuretic. When there is water retention and swelling of feet, first thing in the morning would be this porridge, it used to taste very bland and oh my and mom used to push it down my throat.
The same porridge I make now for myself, a bit different with spices and it tastes yum. This recipe is inspired from Sangeeta's Health food desi videshi blog. Whenever I need a light meal, I go for this porridge. I make about 3 or 4 glasses of this and keep having it till midmorning. Only inconvenience is going to the loo often, but very effective.
More Barley Recipes
- Pearl barley or barley powder. I have used pearl barley and made a coarse powder of it in the mixer.
- Water & Buttermilk, to thin down the cooked slurry of barley.
- Spices, I have used chilies, mint, ginger and coriander leaves along with salt.
- Check Sangeeta's post to make this conjee more interesting.
Follow me on Social Media
Click on your most used social media icon below and follow me!
Step by Step Instructions to make Barley Buttermilk
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- If you dont have barley powder, then take ¼ cup of pearl barley in a mixer/spice grinder and make a powder. You won't get a fine powder but minimally coarse powder that doesn't feel coarse when felt in your hands.
- Mix necessary amount of barley powder with water and cook this mixture to a slurry. Keep the flame to medium and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Once the mixture is cooked, take it off heat, add the spices, keep it covered and let it cool completely.
- After it cools down, blend it with remaining water and buttermilk and serve.
Enjoy this refreshing thin porridge of barley or barley buttermilk. An apt drink for the hot summer. It doubles up as a light meal and also hydrates your system well.
Do you like the Recipe? PIN IT
Barley Buttermilk | Summer Drink | Barley Porridge | Barley Conjee
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon barley powder
- 1 cup buttermilk or ½ cup yogurt and ½ cup whisked smooth
- ½ a green chili
- ½ teaspoon shredded ginger
- Handful of mint leaves
- handful of coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- To make barley powder, take ½ cup of pearl barley in a mixer and grind it to powder. You won't get a fine powder but minimally coarse powder that doesn't feel coarse when felt n your hands. I have this powder in a Ziploc pouch in my freezer.
- Take 1 cup water and mix 1 tablespoon of barley powder to it. Mix well without any lumps, take it to the stove and cook in a medium flame with constant stirring to form a slurry.
- The mixture turn cloudy and the minute coarse particles of barley will seen cooked. It will take about 5-10 minutes for this. Remember the mixture will look precipitated/cloudy but not thick gooey mass.
- Take it off the flame. Add mint leaves and green chili. Keep it covered and let it cool down.
- After it cools down, add remaining 1.5 cups of water and buttermilk to it along with salt, coriander leaves, ginger and blend well.
- Serve immediately or keep it on the counter and Sip it often till mid-morning
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.