Capsicum paneer subzi a quick and easy side-dish made with paneer, Indian cottage and capsicums. A quick to make delicious side dish that pairs well with flatbreads.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Paneer, What is it?
Paneer also known as ponir or Indian cottage cheese, is a fresh acid-set cheese common in the Indian subcontinent made from cow or buffalo milk. It is a non-aged, non-melting soft cheese made by curdling milk with a fruit- or vegetable-derived acid, such as lemon juice. It is a soft cheese, where you don’t have to worry about animal rennet.
Its acid-set form before pressing is called Chhena. Check this Desi version of burnt cheese cake aka Chhena poda, a delicacy from Odisha
The Food Story
Frankly speaking, I never heard of paneer until I reached college. Routine eating out with friends for birthday party treats and just like that outing, I was introduced to paneer butter masala and palak paneer.
Paneer is widely used in savory dishes like this rich saffron infused Zaffrani paneer , Chinese style Chilli paneer, or a simple tomato onion paneer subzi. You can also use it in flatbreads like this Spring onion paneer paratha , paneer stuffed kulcha or this simple capsicum paneer roti sandwich.
We even use paneer in fusion dishes and make paneer stromboli and paneer pizza. Desserts with paneer like this chhena payesh/paneer kheer, Paneer jalebi, rasamalai, rasgulla or rosogolla are equally popular like the savory dishes.
Follow me on Social Media
How to make Capsicum Paneer Subzi
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin. Add onion and green chili, sauté until onions turn translucent. If sattvic, omit the onions.
- Next add sliced mixed peppers to this and sauté for a minute or two.
- Next add chopped tomatoes to this, followed by all the dry masalas and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes for the flavors to mingle well.
- Once the peppers are soft, add paneer and salt to this and continue to cook covered for the flavors to mingle.
- Once done, remove the cover, stir well. Add kasuri methi on top, stir once. Remove from heat and serve it warm with roti’s.
Recipe Card for Paneer Capsicum Subzi
Capsicum Paneer Subzi | Dry Subzi with Paneer
- 1 cup paneer cubes approximately 100-150 grams i have used store-bought amul paneer
- 2 no medium onions thinly sliced
- 2 no green Capsicums thinly sliced
- 1 no red capsicum thinly sliced
- 2 no medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 no green chilli slited lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kasuri Methi
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander or mint for Garnishing
- Wash and prep all the vegetables mentioned and keep it ready.
- Heat a wide pan with oil, and crackle cumin. Add thinly sliced onion and green chili to this and sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Once the onions are sautéed, add thinly sliced green and red peppers to this and sauté for a minute or two.
- Next add chopped tomatoes to this, followed by red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes for the flavors to mingle well.
- While the capsicums are getting done, remove the cover, stir once, add drained paneer and salt to this, mix well.
- Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes, for the spices to infuse to flavor the paneer. Once done, remove the cover, stir well. Add kasuri methi on top, stir once. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander or mint with roti for a scrumptious meal
Microwave Method :
- Please remember, microwave oven cooking timing varies from oven to oven. So kindly adjust according to your microwave power
- In a Microwave-safe bowl heat oil for 1 minute @ MW high. Add cumin and cook @ high for 30 seconds. Next add onions and green chili, and cook at high for 2 minutes, stirring once in between. That will give-out a very nice aroma.
- Add capsicums and cook @ high for 3 minutes, stirring for every 1 minute. Next Add tomatoes and spices, cook @ high for 5 minutes. Stirring in-between. By this time, tomatoes must have cooked very well or else cook for 2 more minutes @ high.
- Next add paneer and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Finally add kasuri methi and cook for another 1 minute. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with roti's.
Enjoy this colorful capsicum and soft paneer subzi with roti’s. When packing for kids I lay them inside the roti and make it as a roll and pack. This way it is easy for the kids to pick and eat.