Baked feta rose, a rose shaped bread roll filled with delicious feta cheese and herb filling. A pretty looking bread roll to decorate your dining table.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
The inspiration for this rose shaped rolls is from Veena’s Paneer stuffed roses , since already had some paneer bakes planned for the week, didn’t want to overdo paneer. So i decided to use the famous spinach & Feta, but unfortunately, when i checked my fridge, spinach was very less. So, i substituted it with coriander, it is sort of Indian & Middle-eastern fusion bake.
The Ingredients in Baked Feta Rose
I have used half bread flour and spelt flour in this Rose shaped bread roll. You can make it either fully with bread flour or use All purpose flour all together. If using any one flour in full, take care of the water content used for the dough, you might need little less than the amount given here.
The stuffing can be anything that is dry and can hold shape. A spicy potato filling like the ones stuffed in these masala poli or cauliflower and in this Stromboli. You can even make a sweet filling like this Mango coconut rolls , mawa filling, sweetened cream cheese with some candied fruits and nuts would be a delight! Try it and experiment with the filling and enjoy!
How to make Baked Feta Rose
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions.
- I have used my food processor to make the dough for this feta stuffed bread.
- Take both the flours, milk powder, salt, sugar and yeast. Mix well for a uniform mix.
- Warm milk and water together. Pour this liquid into the flour mix and start kneading the dough, finally add oil and knead a smooth dough. If kneading by hand, knead for around 6-8 minutes to get a soft dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and let it rest until it doubles in size. While the dough is resting, make the filling. Just mix everything together in a bowl and keep aside.
- Once the dough has doubled, punch it down and divide it into 14-15 portions. Dust your working area with flour, Knead each portion and roll into a round about 5-6″ inches in size.
- Place a portion of filling in the center of the rolled dough. Keeping the center intact, make 4 slits around the filling in the shape of ‘+’sign.
- Follow the picture instruction below to shape the stuffed bread roll like a rose. Once shaped , place the shaped roses on a parchment lied cookie tray. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough portions.
- Let the shaped roses sit for about 45 minutes. Brush the roses with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake the roses for about 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Baked Feta Roses | Rose Buns with Feta Cheese
- Bowls for mixing the bread dough
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Convection oven
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups spelt flour see notes
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup oil
- 1&½ cup warm water plus ½ cup extra
- ¼ cup yogurt/milk if using curd/yogurt it should be at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds for topping
- 2 tablespoon milk for brushing the tops of the bread.
- ¾ cup Feta cheese cubes
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 large capsicum, chopped thinly
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- I used my food processor to make the dough, the dough can be kneaded by hand too. Take both the flours, milk powder, salt, sugar and yeast. Run it a minimum speed for the contents to mix well.
- Take milk and water together in a microwaveable mug, microwave high for 30 seconds. The liquid should be hot, not scalding hot.
- Add this liquid slowly to the dough mix and knead a smooth and soft dough. After adding liquid, add oil and knead for around 3-4 minutes to get a soft dough. If kneading by hand, knead for around 6-8 minutes to get a soft dough
- I have used a combination of bread and spelt flour, so i needed the water amount given here, if using all purpose flour or bread flour completely, then you might need less water than specified, so use water in small quantities (¼ cup at a time) while kneading.
- Once kneaded, place the dough in a well-oiled bowl, cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it rest for an hour or until it is doubled. while the dough resting, lets prepare the filling.
- Crumble the feta in a large bowl, wash and clean coriander leaves and chop them fine. Wash and chop capsicum thinly. Mix them together add a generous pinch of pepper. Divide the filling into 14-15 portions, according the number of dough portions.
Let us shape the Bread Roll
- Once the dough has doubled, punch it down and divide it into 14-15 portions. Dust your working area with flour, Knead each portion and roll into a round about 5-6" inches in size.
- Place a portion of filling in the center of the rolled dough. Keeping the center intact, make 4slits around the filling in the shape of '+'sign
- Fold each quarter of the dough around the filling like a petal around the filling. Hope the picture helps in shaping. Once shaped like a rose, cup around the base to give it a good curved base. place the shaped roses on a parchment lied cookie tray. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough portions
- Let the shaped roses sit for about 45 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of the second rise, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Brush the roses with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake the roses for about 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden brown
- Take them out of the oven, and move to cooling rack to cook a bit. Serve them warm with tomato sauce.
- I have used a combination of bread and spelt flour, you can also entirely use Bread or All purpose flour.
- Bcoz of combination of flours, i needed the water amount given here, if using all purpose flour or bread flour alone, then you might need less water than specified, so use water in small quantities (¼ cup at a time) while kneading.
These beautifully baked feta stuffed buns can be served for brunch or dinner. These pretty looking feta roses can be a center piece for any party. Why not bake them for your loved ones for Valentine’s day. Do check this beautiful and simple Baked apple roses using puff pastry.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter