Puff pastry baklava, a delightful dessert with puff pastry sheets,layered with nuts, baked to perfection and drizzled with sugar syrup.Jump to Recipe
Puff pastry desserts are simple and quick. I always keep a pack of puff pastry sheets in my freezer for sudden dessert cravings. You can almost stuff anything sweet/savory into them and bake. Like this simple Nutella star bread or the apple tart
Puff pastry baklava is a simple bread, with puff pastry sheets. I saw a video on FB, i dont remember the page, it is of a brand, promoting their pastry sheets. Loved the simple idea, so i made it immediately for the hungry mouths at home.
Thank god, i made 2 breads. One as a star and other a vaguely shaped like Fougasse. I served them the Fougasse, they licked the plate clean! The pastry is sweetened with orange juice infused sugar syrup, which heigtens the taste even more. This can be baked a day or two ahead, and can be warmed before serving, add the sugar syrup just before serving. A simple and pretty bake for parties and get-togethers.
Step by Step pictures for Puff Pastry Baklava
To make this puff pastry baklava, you will need 2 roll of puff pastry sheets. It is not the short squares, but the ones that are of the size of an A3 Sheets.
I have used a mix of nuts as stuffing. Roll the sheets out, use a round plate (8 inches diameter) as shape guide and cutout the rolled sheets. Lay down one sheet,brush with butter generously, sprinkle the nuts mixture, cover it with the othe sheet.
Place a small dessert bowl(roughly 1.5 inches in diameter), in the center and cut the sheet into quarters from the bowl. Now cut each quarter into 3 parts.
Starting from any point, twist two strings in the opposite direction to form a ripple and press the edges together to seal like a petal. Bake the bread in a preheated oven @ 200C until done. While the puff pastry baklava is baking, make the sugar syrup.
Once the baklava is baked, remove it from the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes, pour the warm sugar syrup on top and serve.
More Puff Pastry Desserts
Puff Pastry Baklava | Puff Pastry Dessert
- Convection oven
- 2 nos puff pastry sheets Not squares, the sheets like A3 size paper
- 4 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 4 tablespoon chopped cashewnuts
- 4 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 3 pods cardamom seeds alone, crushed
- 2 tablespoon milk to brush on top
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4-5 nos cardamon pods crushed
- 2 nos cloves crushed
- juice of ½ an orange
- Take all the nuts, along with cardamom and cloves in a mixer and pulse it to get a coarse powder.Remove the puff pastry sheets, and let it thaw for 30 minutes on the kitchen counter.
- Dust your work surface well with flour. Roll puff pastry sheets a bit, and use a plate (8 inches diameter) to cut out 2 round shapes.
- Place one round-cut pastry sheet on a well greased baking pan, brush the sheet with butter and spread nuts powder generously on it. Now place the other sheet on top of the nuts and close.
- Now comes the fun part of cut and braid. Place a small dessert bowl(roughly 1.5 inches in diameter), in the center and cut thesheet into quarters from the bowl. Now cut each quarter into 3 parts
- Starting from any point, twist two strings in the opposite direction to form a ripple and press the edges together to seal like a petal.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Brush the top of the bread with some milk and sprinkle some nuts powder on top. Bake it for about 20-22 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
- While the bread is baking , make the sugar syrup. Take everything, except orange juice, in a sauce pan, let it boil until sugar dissolves completely, Take it off the stove. Add orange juice and let it cool.
- Remove the star. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Pour the sugar syrup on top and serve it warm. Just see them dissappear, my people even drank the sugar syrup, like coffee!!!
This beautiful puff pastry baklava makes a great party center piece and a delicious dessert to celebrate any occasion.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter