Sweet coconut puffs | Coconut puffs | Bakery style coconut puffs | Bakery style dil pasand puffs | Bakery style Dil khush puffs | Bangalore style dil pasand | Puff pastry bakes | Sweet puff pastry
Sweet puffs, puff pastry filled with sweet filling of coconut and mixed fruit. A south-indian style popular bakery snack.
Dil pasand or Dil khush are sweet coconut buns that we get in bakeries across India. These soft and fluffy buns are stuffed with sweet coconut and tutti frutti.
The Iyengar bakery style dil pasands are flaky puff pastries filled with these sweet coconut fillings, with an amazing aroma, which pulls you like a jerry mouse to Mozzarella.
Puff Pastry Bakes
I love puff pastry bakes, they are quick, easy and have lot of variety. You have a lot of options when you have a pack of puff pastry squares in your freezer. My personal favorite is this Puff pastry Baklava , delicious walnut filling stuffed between puff pastry sheets and baked to perfections, served with a generous drizzle of sweet saffron syrup.
All these desserts make a wonderful centerpiece on your party table. If you are looking for a fruit based dessert, check this chocolate & strawberry cream mini puff, delicious and a treat to all senses.
Ingredients for Dil Khush Puffs
- Puff pastry, I have used store bought readymade puff pastry squares.
- Coconut, I have used desiccated coconut for the Dil pasand puffs, you can also use shredded and frozen coconut.
- Mixed fruits & nuts, I have used tutti frutti and sliced almonds in the sweet puff recipe along with milk to bind the stuffing better.
- Flavorings, I have used cardamom with a pinch of saffron for the coconut puffs recipe.
Follow me on Social Media
How to Make Dil Pasand Puffs
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- I have used store bought puff pastry squares. We get a mini square and a medium square. I have used both the mini squares as such and the medium squares cut vertically into half.
- Take the frozen pastry squares and line them on the baking tray. Let it sit on the tray and come to room temperature.
- In my experience if i allow the pastry squares to thaw in the refrigerator, they kind of clump together, this way works well for me.
- While the puff pastry is thawing, let us make the stuffing.
- In a wide bowl, add desiccated coconut, sugar, tutti frutti, raisins, almond slices and cardamom powder. Mix them well together.
- To this mix, now add 1-2 tablespoon of milk and combine. It should resemble a wet mix, holding the coconut and the mixed fruits and nuts well.
- Once the sheets thaw, place 1-2 teaspoon of filling in each sheet. Close it with another puff pastry sheet. Seal the edges with water. I used a fork and crimped the edges.
- Brush the top of the pastry with milk, sprinkle little sugar on top. Bake them in the preheated oven for 18 minutes or until the pastries puff up beautifully and brown nicely on top.
- Once done, remove the baked pastries from the oven, let it cool on a wire rack well. Enjoy these nostalgic sweet puffs or coconut puffs warm with your evening cup of chai.
Recipe Card for Dil Pasand Puffs
Sweet Puffs | Dil Pasand Puffs | Sweet Coconut Puffs | Coconut Puffs
- 40 nos Puff Pastry Sheets I have used mini ones.
- ⅓ cup Desiccated coconut
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup tutti frutti
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoon each golden and black raisins
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 4 nos cardamom, skin removed, seeds alone powdered
- a pinch of saffron optional
- Preheat the Oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- I have used frozen mini puff pastry squares for the coconut puffs.
- Remove the frozen puff pastry sheets and line it on the parchment paper and let them come to room temperature.
- I have tried thawing the puff pastry sheets in the refrigerator, but they sort of stick together and becomes messy. Arranging them while they are still frozen works well for me.
Let us prepare the stuffing
- While the puff pastries are thawing, let us make the stuffing. In a wide bowl, take together coconut, tutti frutti, raisins, almonds, cardamom powder and saffron.
- Add milk to this and mix well. The final mix should be wet and holding the mixed fruits and nuts well with coconut.
Let us make Sweet Puffs
- By this time, the puff pastry must have thawed well. Place 1 - 2 teaspoon of stuffing in each sheet.
- Close the pastry with another pastry square, seal the edges with water. I have used fork and crimped the edges. This way you will get 20 coconut puffs.
- Brush the tops of the pastry with milk. Make small slits on top for air vent. Sprinkle some sugar on top for a caramelization
- Bake the pastries in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until they rise beautifully and the tops brown well. Mine were done by 18 minutes. I turned on the top rod for last 3 minutes for the sugar to caramelize.
- Oven baking time and temperature varies with models. So bake accordingly. Keep an eye on the coconut puffs after 15 minutes.
- Once done, remove the puff pastry from the oven. Remove them on to a wire rack. Let them cool completely.
- They keep well on the counter for a day. Since it is made of coconut and milk, i prefer refrigerating them in an air-tight container.
- If serving puffs from the refrigerator, reheat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and serve warm.
- Enjoy these delicious coconut buns warm with your evening cup.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
These aromatic, nostalgic coconut puffs are great after school snack. I prefer to serve them warm, so wouldn't recommend in the snack box. These sweet coconut puffs are bite-sized, so they make a great party food.
Storing & Serving
They keep well on the counter for a day. Since it is made of coconut and milk, I prefer refrigerating them in an air-tight container.
If serving puffs from the refrigerator, reheat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and serve warm. Enjoy these delicious coconut puffs warm with your evening cup.