Instant kheer mix or payasam mix is a readymade mix made using rice and dal. You can make kheer in 10 minutes with this premade mix. A very helpful recipe during festivities.
Instant payasam mix, a premade mix for making delicious kheer in 10 minutes. With lots of festival lined up from september, a homemade mix like this comes handy to make offerings during poojas.
Payasam/kheer, a sweet dish made of milk and sugar along with rice/poha/vermicelli added to it. Kheer is a quick to make dessert offering for traditional poojas at home. During navrathri or ganesh pooja, the festivities go on for 10 days. And each day pooja needs a sweet offering.
Such homemade instant kheer mix comes handy for such poojas. This instant kheer mix is a blessing when you have make something quick and delicious. Kheer with this homemade kheer mix takes just 10 minutes.
The Ingredients : Instant Kheer mix
The ingredients in this homemade instant payasam mix are rice and dal along with nuts and flavoring ingredients cardamom and cloves. A small amount of dessicated coconut is added for aroma, it is purely optional and can be omitted.
How to make kheer with instant mix
Boil a cup of milk in a sauce pan, add 2-3 kheer mix, let it boil for 6-8 minutes. Since the ground mix will be like a coarse semolina, it cooks pretty fast. After 8 minutes, add a teaspoon of sugar and let it be on stove for another 2 minutes, then remove and serve warm
That’s it it takes just 10 minutes. If you are comfortable cooking in microwave, the kheer can be made in that too. How easy isn’t?
Some Kheer recipes
Instant Kheer Mix|Instant Payasam Mix
- Heavy Blender or Indian Style Mixie
- ½ cup Rice white rice is better
- 3 tablespoon chana dal
- 3 tablespoon moong dal
- ¼ cup dessicated coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- 8-10 nos almonds
- 8-10 nos cashewnuts
- 5 nos cardamom
- 4 nos cloves
For the Kheer
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 2-3 tablespoon instant kheer mix
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- a generous pinch of saffron
Let us make the payasam/kheer mix
- Heat a kadai, add rice and dal to it and roast until they turn golden brown. Keep the flame simmer and roast. High flame will burn the rice and dal.
- Towards the end, add almonds and cashewnuts and roast for 30 seconds.
- Finally add dessicated coconut and roast for another 30 seconds and remove it from stove. Do not roast after adding coconut as it might.
- Transfer the ingredients to a flat plate, add cardamom and cloves to it. Let it cool completely. Take the roasted ingredients in a mixer and grind
- While grinding, do not grind continuously. Pulse and grind. Since we have added nuts and coconut, grinding continously will make it a paste. Pulse and grind to a finely coarse mix.
- Finally add sugar to this and pulse once again. Transfer the ground ingredients to a flat plate, let it cool down. Store this mix in a clean glass jar and refrigerate.
How to make kheer with instant kheer mix
- Take milk in a saucepan, add a generous pinch of saffron to milk and let it boil
- When the milk is about to boil add instant kheer mix to it and mix well. Reduce the flame to simmer and let it boil for 6-8 minutes. Keep stirring so the mix doesnt settle at the bottom and burn
- After 8 minutes the coarse kheer mix must have cooked well. add a teaspoon of sugar to this, mix well. Let it sit on the stove for 2 more minutes.
- Take it off the stove and serve warm.
- Coconut in the instant mix is optional, can be omitted
- Since the mix has nuts and coconut, refrigerate it in a clean glass jar.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Instant payasam mix is such a blessing during busy festive days. The Instant mix has ingredients which might turn rancid if kept outside for long time. So, refrigerate the instant kheer mix in a clean glass jar.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Bless my food by Payal
What a brilliant idea of making premix. This is truly handy when we are already overburdened due to series of festivities. Would love to try for sure.
What a great idea to have this mix ready, Priya!I am a big fan of coconut so esp.like the coconut and nuts in this mix!
Sandhya Nadkarni recently posted…Dassera Greetings from Indfused!
Homemade payasam premix is surely a wonderful idea during festivals and to treat the unannounced guests. I make similar premix for moong dal halwa. Loved your beautiful clicks !
That’s a good mixture to give away as a gift or even for our ‘adult’ kids going away to college or to another city for work. Just add milk and cook, now that is easy. A very useful recipe.
Mayuri Patel recently posted…Gobi Musallam/Whole Roasted Cauliflower Curry
priya this is a lovely share dear. I love the instant mix for kheer … just make it and store to make anytime kheer instantly, awesome idea !
Making an instant kheer mix is such an interesting and useful idea. Perfect to have on hand during the holiday season. Thanks so much for sharing this.
Pavani recently posted…How to make Cuban Coffee and Tostada
Priya this is such an amazing idea to make premix of kheer beforehand for festival season.
This comes super handy when you are busy with other things.
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
I think this Instant kheer or payasam mix is a good idea! Very useful for children who are in Uni away from home. Thanks for sharing this!!
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey recently posted…MOHANTHAL GUJARATI KANDOI STYLE
A great tip to make kheer mix. This will be made easier during busy days! Thanks for sharing it!
This is a keeper recipe. This will save me so much time and energy of the festival days which also are the working days. I an surely keeping a sstock of this.
Hey I love the idea of a premix. In my place this will definitely make a lot of sense can make it any moment I wish. 😀 Absolutely love it.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
This is just so apt to make and keep, especially during winters when the cravings for payasam hits and you don’t want to slog a lot to make it. Also, great for impromptu guests… Lovely, Priya…