Mixed beans and rice salad, an easy salad with mixed beans, tossed with cooked rice. Most of my salad recipes have minimal dressings, i have used chili, lemon and salt to flavor this salad.
Mixed beans and rice salad, a protein rich salad, with an array of beans soaked and cooked the traditional way and then tossed with fresh herbs and cooked rice. This rice salad can be made with canned beans also, in that case all you need is some leftover rice, just warm the rice and toss it with drained beans and adjust the flavorings.
With summer at its peak, many of us don’t like to spend much time in their kitchen, we all look for some quick fix meals. Quick meals not necessarily be unhealthy. A little bit of planning, we can make nutritious meals in no time, like this fun watermelon and feta salad or these cucumber boats
We being rice eaters, enjoy rice for lunch. Even though kids like their pizza, pasta and roti, rice is Home, so they are happy to see rice on their plate. The advantage of this rice salad is, it can be made to suit kids taste too.
This delicious and simple salad can be made with any grain of your choice, you can try it quinoa, like this mixed herb & quinoa salad , with pearl barley, couscous or kids favorite pasta, like this pasta salad
Serve the ingredients separately and let them add whatever they want in their bowl. This mixed beans and rice salad is one such quickie and comforting meal for all.
- Rice, i have used leftover rice in the recipe, you can use freshly cooked rice too. Rice can be replaces with any other grain like quinoa, barley, couscous, farro etc.
- Mixed beans, i buy my pack of mixed beans from Adil supermarket, a famous indian market here. You can also mix and match your own pack. The store bought pack has garbanzo, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, mung beans, moth beans, whole masoor, white beans, black-eyed beans
- Spices, i keep the spices minimum in my soups and salads. The salad is spiced with green chilies, pepper, salt and a dash of lime.
- Fresh herbs, i have used fresh coriander and mint to add flavor to the salad.
Mixed beans and rice salad
- 1.5 cups mixed beans (a mix of garbanzo, kidney beans, mung beans, moth beans,whole masoor, white beans, black-eyed beans)
- 1 cup cooked rice white/brown rice
- 2 nos green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- handful of fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- handful of fresh coriander leaves finely choppped
- juice of a lemon
- Soak the mixed beans overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Drain the soaked beans, add fresh water to immerse the beans completely. Add 1/2 tsp salt to it. Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Let the pressure release on its own. Drain the water completely. Take the drained beans in a large bowl.
- If using leftover rice, microwave it for 30 seconds, and make it little warm. Add warm rice to the beans bowl. Toss well to combine.
- To this bowl , now add chopped coriander, mint leaves, green chili, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Give it a good toss to combine well.
- Let the salad sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Serve it immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve chilled.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
This bean and rice salad is one such recipe, that fills you up as a meal and also gives the satiation of eating healthy. You can use brown rice, wild rice or even go for barley, if you don’t want to eat rice.
Serve this mixed beans salad with a crusty bread, warm soup and make it a complete meal.