Spiced buttermilk, also called neer mor in Tamil is yogurt thinned down with water and blended with spices. A probiotic drink perfect for summers.
How to make neer mor | How to make spiced chaas | Quick and easy recipe for sambaram | Refreshing drink for summer | Summer Special Probiotic drink | Probiotic drink for summer hydration | Homemade probiotic drink | Neer Mor Recipe | how to make masala mor
What is Neer Mor?
Neer mor, sambaram, chaas, chaach, you can call it many names. This humble probiotic is the most popular drink that can be found in all busy street corners during summers in south India.
This nutritious and healthy drink is one the easiest and best way to simmer down that summer heat. When made with good quality yogurt, and blended with the right spices it gives you the nutrition and also the most needed good gut bacteria.
Do not confuse neer mor with lassi, which is from North india , where thick curd is whisked with many flavors. Like this mango lassi
Why you should try this neer mor
- Easy to make
- Can be made ahead for a crowd
- Can mix and match flavors to suit taste .
- Easy way to keep you well hydrated during summers
- Promotes good fat and gut bacteria
- Healthy and refreshing.
- Ayurveda backs that buttermilk helps in controlling cholesterol and blood pressure.
In fact my nutritionist insists me to have a tall glass of buttermilk everyday as a mid morning drink to keep me hydrated and also full without any extra calories.
Ingredients Needed to make this Summer Drink
- Yogurt : I have used full fat yogurt to make this neer more.
- Spices : I have used ginger, coriander leaves and hing in this masala mor recipe . You can also add ½ a green chili if you prefer it spicy
Step wise instructions to make Chaas
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Take the spices mentioned along with yogurt and water in a blender
- Blend until smooth and frothy
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve it chill
Do you like this Recipe? PIN IT
Spiced buttermilk | Neer mor | Chaas | Chaach
- Indian style mixie or any heavy blender
- ½ cup yogurt, full fat preferably cold
- ½ cup Water If curd is room temperature, chilled water preferred
- ¼ teaspoon ginger julienne
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- salt to taste
- handful of Fresh Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Take all the ingredients into a blender and blend until frothy. Serve immediately.
- If your kiddo doesn't prefer floaty things in his/her drink, then first grind coriander and ginger in a mixer, then take it to the blender along with other ingredients.
- If serving for adults, you can add half a green chili to the above quantity of ingredients and blend.
- This delish spiced buttermilk can be made ahead, chilled until ready to serve. Just remember to whisk it well before serving.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.