Eggless chocolate sheet cake, a flat cake baked on a sheet pan, frosted wtih chocolate cream and caramel drizzle. A perfect bake for BBQ parties and potlucks.
Sheet cake, a cake baked in a large rectangular tray and frosted to look very pretty! My original plan was to try a yule log. After i baked the cake, i found the cake too stiff to roll into a log. This is the second time i m trying to make a log and the log is turning into sheet cake. It is now Game on, Me Vs Yule log. I m not going to stop until i get to make a proper yule log, even if my family has to taste 100’s of sheet cakes 😏
So, here i m presenting my second attempt on my yule log, an egg-less condensed milk cake covered with finger licking chocolate cream frosting. I baked this yesterday and added a thin layer of white cream frosting, but kids wanted chocolate on top and i didn’t want to do ganache. So today morning i made a chocolate cream and slathered all over the sheet cake.
In the mean time, the chocoalte cake started losing its lower-half. The two lil monsters at home, used their fingers to dig out small squares from the sheet. Today Morning when i saw the pan, it was like some squirrel has nibbled my cake. I knew i couldn’t wait for long, so quickly tried to click few decent shots.
The moment they knew, i m done with the photos, they cleared half the tray. The cake has a perfect texture and the cream adds more to it. Sheet cakes are such a breeze, when you dont want to do any fancy decorations on your cake. Slap on that frosting, and try adding some more accessories like crumbled oreo, chocolate syrup, M&M’s , the options are endless. A perfect bake for parties and get-together.
Some easy cake recipes
- Chocolate cake with Oreo frosting
- Whole Wheat mango & almond spiced cake with whipped cream
- Vegan, strawberry mocha bundt cake
- Whole wheat flour, for personal reasons i bake only with whole wheat flour. You can use All purpose flour instead of whole wheat flour.
- Condensed Milk, sweetened condensed milk is also a replacement for eggs, since it is sweet we also skip the sugar in this recipe. Here is a chocolate cake without condensed milk
- Fat, i have used oil instead of butter, i have not tried using butter in the recipe yet, will update the recipe when i try it.
- Baking powder and baking soda along with vanilla are the other ingredients most common to baking.
- Make sure all the above ingredients are at room temperature.
Eggless Chocolate sheet cake
- Sheet pan
- Convection oven
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk and spatula
For the Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour i use chakki fresh aata
- ¼ cup cocoa powder i use Hershey's Brand
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tin Sweetened condensed milk 397 grams tin
- 1 cup warm water
- ¾ cup oil
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoon simple sugar syrup for drizzling over the cake, only needed if frosting the cake
- 1 & ¼ cup Whipping cream
- 5 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 8 nos fudgy caramel toffees i used tiffany caramel fudge chocolates
- 2-3 tbsp milk/cream
Let us Bake the Cake
- Preheat the oven 180C. Prepare a sheet pan withbaking paper
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, add condensed milk, oil and vanilla extract, use a electric whisk and whisk them smooth.
- To this liquid add the flour in 3 batches, use a spatula to mix the flour into the wet ingredients. When you add the second batch, the batter would be very thick, add ½ cup warm water and mix.
- Likewise when you add the final batch of flour, add another ½ cup of water and mix. Do not mix vigorously, mix in single direction.
- Pour the batter in the preared sheet pan. Spread using the spatula. Smooth the top, tap twice to release any air.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let it sit in the pan for 5 minutes. Then flip it on a wire rack and let it cool completely
Chocolate Cream Frosting
- Take together whipping cream and cream cheese ina wide bowl, using a electric whisk, whisk until you see soft peaks.
- Add cocoa powder and icing sugar and continue whipping until you get stiff peaks. Cover and refrigerate until use.
Frosting the Cake
- Once the cake cools down, return it to the sheet pan, level the cake by trimming the top, this is totally optional.
- Drizzle simple syrup all over the cake. Spread the chocolate whipping cream generously, smooth-en it.
- Take the caramel toffee along with milk/cream in a microwave safe mug, microwave for a minute, remove and whisk it together into a smooth sryup, if the caramel is still lumpy, microwave again for 30 seconds and whisk it smooth. Make the syrup towards the end, as it thickens while resting.
- Add the caramel drizzle over the cake. Cut and Serve
- If you like coffee flavor in your chocolate cake, then add 2 tablespoon instant coffee to the warm water and use it instead of plain water.
- Caramel drizzle and chocolate frosting is purely optional, you can serve the cake as such.
- Best Dessert for BBQ parties/Potluck/huge gatherings.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Eggless chocolate sheet cake with the frosting looks ultimate, feel like licking the frosting.. Truly delicious.
Now your family is going to have a blast with all your cakes. I once was so obsessed with making an eggless roll and made too many cakes. Roll or not, this chocolate cake looks awesome with all the caramel syrup and whipped cream.
Ah that cake looks perfect Priya, I have been wanting to make a yule log for so long, unlike you though, I am still in the thinking stage. I am sure after all the attempts you are about to undertake, your kids will be so trilled and I will be once you give us the perfect one for me to make..heheheh…
The sheet cake looks great wonderful , I love that caramel topping , it’s one of my favourite flavours , after chocolate though . Such a fantastic treat , wow !
A disaster turned into a decadent dessert, I bet. Even if it is not a yule log, I bet you won against it considering that your kids loved it. 🙂
Haha I think you and I are in the same battle! I can't make a proper swiss roll, they turn too soft and crack as I roll them, or my hands are too hard for them! And yes, I totally get those cracks in between, every cake of mine gets dug right in the center! I tell them, madams, please rip from the side instead of the center, at least let the cake look good enough… hehe… that sheet cake looks amazing, just the type to carry for barbeque parties…
I can imagine the kids sneaking off with the little corners. 🙂 Such mischievous acts will definitely be some wonderful memories to tuck in. The shape of the cake doesn't matter to me as long as the kids love it. No better proof needed, right?
Such a gorgeous and scrumptious cake!! It is a treat to see such a simple but lovely looking cake. little mischievous acts by kids add so much fun to baking!!
They could not wait for you to be done with pictures. Shows how tasty the cake is.
Such a lovely bake! Using whole wheat flour in eggless cake is making it so nutritious and the finishing with cream is to die for!
What a beautiful sheet cake is this. with all that frosting, I am dreaming of having it now 🙂
I know yule log is hard… Good luck with your yule log and hope to see it soon on the blog. Between this sheet cake looks delicious.
I actually gave up on making cake rolls. Too many failed attempts and heart breaks have happened. I wish you the very best – if you succeed, give me the tips, so I will give it a try again 🙂
That sheet cake looks lovely.
I remmebr seeing this on my FB feed and here I am virtually gorging on the sheet cake ! yule log is a challnge to me too, first let me bookmark this sheet cake .. and that drizzle … yummmmm
I so love the caramel glaze more in this cake!! So delicious..
WOW WOW WOW – I am just speechless – This just looks amazing – I want a piece right now PLEASE! – I love that caramel drizzle!
Haha! That's hilarious Priya. Loved your writing and undoubtedly the cake as well. The best part is your spirit that you are ready to make even 100 cakes. If that's the spirit my dear, you will be able to make your desired cake soon, I'm sure
wow wow wow…This is amazing. Love the frosting Priya