Eggless chocolate sheet cake, a flat cake baked on a sheet pan, frosted wtih chocolate cream and caramel drizzle. A perfect bake for BBQ parties and potlucks.
Sheet cake, a cake baked in a large rectangular tray and frosted to look very pretty! My original plan was to try a yule log. After i baked the cake, i found the cake too stiff to roll into a log. This is the second time i m trying to make a log and the log is turning into sheet cake. It is now Game on, Me Vs Yule log. I m not going to stop until i get to make a proper yule log, even if my family has to taste 100’s of sheet cakes 😏
So, here i m presenting my second attempt on my yule log, an egg-less condensed milk cake covered with finger licking chocolate cream frosting. I baked this yesterday and added a thin layer of white cream frosting, but kids wanted chocolate on top and i didn’t want to do ganache. So today morning i made a chocolate cream and slathered all over the sheet cake.
In the mean time, the chocoalte cake started losing its lower-half. The two lil monsters at home, used their fingers to dig out small squares from the sheet. Today Morning when i saw the pan, it was like some squirrel has nibbled my cake. I knew i couldn’t wait for long, so quickly tried to click few decent shots.
The moment they knew, i m done with the photos, they cleared half the tray. The cake has a perfect texture and the cream adds more to it. Sheet cakes are such a breeze, when you dont want to do any fancy decorations on your cake. Slap on that frosting, and try adding some more accessories like crumbled oreo, chocolate syrup, M&M’s , the options are endless. A perfect bake for parties and get-together.
Some easy cake recipes
- Chocolate cake with Oreo frosting
- Whole Wheat mango & almond spiced cake with whipped cream
- Vegan, strawberry mocha bundt cake
- Whole wheat flour, for personal reasons i bake only with whole wheat flour. You can use All purpose flour instead of whole wheat flour.
- Condensed Milk, sweetened condensed milk is also a replacement for eggs, since it is sweet we also skip the sugar in this recipe. Here is a chocolate cake without condensed milk
- Fat, i have used oil instead of butter, i have not tried using butter in the recipe yet, will update the recipe when i try it.
- Baking powder and baking soda along with vanilla are the other ingredients most common to baking.
- Make sure all the above ingredients are at room temperature.
Eggless Chocolate sheet cake
- Sheet pan
- Convection oven
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk and spatula
For the Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour i use chakki fresh aata
- ¼ cup cocoa powder i use Hershey's Brand
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tin Sweetened condensed milk 397 grams tin
- 1 cup warm water
- ¾ cup oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp simple sugar syrup for drizzling over the cake, only needed if frosting the cake
- 1 & ¼ cup Whipping cream
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 8 nos fudgy caramel toffees i used tiffany caramel fudge chocolates
- 2-3 tbsp milk/cream
Let us Bake the Cake
- Preheat the oven 180C. Prepare a sheet pan withbaking paper
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, add condensed milk, oil and vanilla extract, use a electric whisk and whisk them smooth.
- To this liquid add the flour in 3 batches, use a spatula to mix the flour into the wet ingredients. When you add the second batch, the batter would be very thick, add 1/2 cup warm water and mix.
- Likewise when you add the final batch of flour, add another 1/2 cup of water and mix. Do not mix vigorously, mix in single direction.
- Pour the batter in the preared sheet pan. Spread using the spatula. Smooth the top, tap twice to release any air.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let it sit in the pan for 5 minutes. Then flip it on a wire rack and let it cool completely
Chocolate Cream Frosting
- Take together whipping cream and cream cheese ina wide bowl, using a electric whisk, whisk until you see soft peaks.
- Add cocoa powder and icing sugar and continue whipping until you get stiff peaks. Cover and refrigerate until use.
Frosting the Cake
- Once the cake cools down, return it to the sheet pan, level the cake by trimming the top, this is totally optional.
- Drizzle simple syrup all over the cake. Spread the chocolate whipping cream generously, smooth-en it.
- Take the caramel toffee along with milk/cream in a microwave safe mug, microwave for a minute, remove and whisk it together into a smooth sryup, if the caramel is still lumpy, microwave again for 30 seconds and whisk it smooth. Make the syrup towards the end, as it thickens while resting.
- Add the caramel drizzle over the cake. Cut and Serve
- If you like coffee flavor in your chocolate cake, then add 2 tbsp instant coffee to the warm water and use it instead of plain water.
- Caramel drizzle and chocolate frosting is purely optional, you can serve the cake as such.
- Best Dessert for BBQ parties/Potluck/huge gatherings.