Instant idli | Samba rava instant idli | How to make rava idly | Quick and easy instant idly recipe | Easy instant idly recipe | Quick and easy breakfast | Dalia Idli | Lapsi Idly | Broken wheat recipe
Samba rava idly, broken wheat idly, an instant idly recipe that gets ready in minutes. No grinding or fermenting needed. Quick and easy breakfast recipe.
Idly is the Best Dish : Ask any South-Indian!
Idly or idli, steamed savory rice cake. A very popular breakfast in India, mainly south-india. There are many small road side shops and carts, that make a brisk business with just idli, sambar and chutney all through the day.
You cannot imagine a south-indian house without dly/dosa. Almost every one of them will have a dabba of idly/dosa batter for emergencies in their fridge.
We make idli out of anything, yes there is regular idli made by soaking rice and dal, grinding and fermenting it. Then we have our instant idlies, like this rava idli , Bulgur instant idly, Instant oats idli, couscous idli .
Instant idlies are a blessing when we run out of our usual idly/dosa batter. These quick idly recipes are quite handy when we are stuck with the thought of what to make that doesn't take much time in the kitchen.
Today's godhumai rava idli, makes a wonderful lunchbox meal. I usually pack it with idli podi for my kids. If they ask for chutney then this tomato chutney and peanut chutney is their absolute favorite.
Chutney for your Idli
What is Samba Rava
Samba wheat rawa is made from pure Samba variety wheat/ Emmer Wheat / Khapli Wheat, including the skin of the wheat which contains many B Complex Vitamins and the sooji wheat rawa is made from ordinary wheat.
It is a low GI food. It also has twice as much fiber and protein that keeps you full for longer, reduces you hunger pangs, and thus a great grain for diabetics.
As a personal belief I consider every food group as healthy, they provide nutrients to your body. Just because we frame a food healthy, doesn’t mean we can eat them without any limits. So enjoy all food groups within limits
Interesting Recipes with Wheat Rava
Cook up a Feast with Wheat Rava
- Broken Wheat Rava Pongal in Instant Pot
- Wheat Rava Pidi Kozhukattai / Steamed savory dumplings with wheat rava
- Samba wheat adai
- Samba Godhumai Rava Dosai
- Wheat Rava Puttu
- Ladoo with Samba Rava
- Kerala style broken wheat kheer / Nurukku gothambu payasam
Follow me on Social Media
How to make Broken Wheat Instant Idli
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Dry roast samba rava in skillet until it is nicely warm and you get a toasted aroma. Remove to a wide bowl. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- To this now we add a mix of sour curd, buttermilk and water and give it a good mix. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, shredded carrots and a tadka of mustard, hing and curry leaves to this mix. check consistency, if it is too thick add ¼ cup of water and stir.
- Add baking soda or eno to this samba rava mix and mix well. Grease idli moulds with oil, pour ladle of batter in each of the holes, steam cook for 8-10 minutes in a medium flame.
- Once done, take it off heat, let it sit in the pan for 2 minutes, remove the idli with a spoon on to another serveware.
- Serve broken wheat rava idli warm with idly podi, chutney of your choice.
Do you like the Idli? Pin it
Recipe Card for Instant Samba Rava Idli
Samba Rava Idli | Godhumai Rava Idli
- 1 cup samba rava | broken wheat | dalia
- ½ cup thick curd
- ½ cup buttermilk / full fat laban
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup carrot shredded
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda or Eno
- ¾ teaspoon salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon oil any vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/kadugu
- ⅛ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- few curry leaves
- Dry roast samba rava in a pan until it is nicely warm and gives out a toasty aroma.
- Take the roasted rava in a wide bowl. Let it cool down for 5 minutes. To this now add curd, buttermilk and water and whisk well to form a batter
- Let his batter sit covered for 5-10minutes. To this now add shredded carrots and mix.
- Heat a small tadka pan, add oi, when it is hot, splutter mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Add this hot tadka to the samba rava mix and stir,
- Add baking soda or eno to the batter and give it a brisk stir. Heat a idli pot/pressure pan for steaming idli with water.
- Grease the idli moulds with gingely oil. Pour ladle of batter in each idli hole. steam cook for 8-10 minutes.
- After the said time, the idli will be cooked well. A tooth pick inserted in the middle of the cooked idli must come out clean, that shows it is done.
- Take it off the heat, let it sit in the same pan for 2 minutes. Then remove the idlies from the moulds to a serveware,
- Serve the idli warm with idli podi and chutney of your choice.
- I got around 12 idlies with the above amount. This also depends on the size of the idli.
- I make only 1 cup of rava at a time, so i get to finsih it in one go. I normally dont't recommend storing the batter with leaveners added. You can make idli and refrigerate in an air-tight box for 2-3 days too.
- While serving from fridge, sprinkle water and reheat it in a microwave for 30 seconds or you can steam for a minute or two.
- If you like you can also add some roasted cashewnuts to the batter. We prefer rava idli with minimal garnishes. I sometimes even skip the tadka and the carrots too, it will look almost similar to the regular rice and dal idli.
Serving SuggestionsOur first choice is always idly podi, if we want chutney then this peanut chutney and Tomato chutney is our absolute favorite. This soft and fluffy instant idli made with broken wheat makes an excellent meal for school luncboxes. I have made them numerous times and zero complaints so far.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
I had read about these idlis , but never thought they would be instant ones. They would make a wonderful easy and healthy breakfast. Would love to try them, they look so soft and spongy.
This is my daughter's favorite. I love the flavor of this simple and tasty idli.
These idlis look so soft and so true about idli batter. Fridge la idli batter ellama epadi ??? This is great instant idli and healthy too.
I have some samba rice and was wondering how to finish it. Thanks to this delicious Samba rava idli recipe my breakfast is sorted for tomorrow. Love this recipe as I have a foolproof recipe now.