Karuppu ulundu dosai recipe | Black urad dal dosai | Azhagar koil dosai recipe | Azhagar dosai | Azhagar koil prasadam | Azhagar temple offering | How to make black urad dal dosai | Azhagar koil dosai detailed recipe | No Ferment Dosai
Karuppu ulundu dosai, also known as azhagar kovil dosai, an authentic temple prasadam from the temple kitchen. A thick pancake made of rice and black gram dal.
The recipe was from the temple Madapalli/Temple Kitchen and from a person who serves the Lord Kalazhagar on a daily basis. The temple is at the foot hills of Azhagar Malai, Madurai and also one of the 108 Divya Desams of Lord Vishnu.
The Dosa is cooked in a panchaloga tawa, a giant-size dosa pan made of 5 alloys. The dosa is deep fried in ghee. The batter for Azhagar dosa is made in morning and offered evening.
Only one Dosa is made in a day. The dosa is torn into pieces and given with black chana sundal to the Ghosti (a set of people singing hymns). However, during auspicious days and festivals, there might be more people in the Ghosti, so the dosa is made accordingly.
The dosa batter is spiced with pepper, cumin and ginger which gives it an unique taste. The dosa can be made thick or thin according to your wish. I made paper thin dosa for our dinner and we loved it. The taste resembled Anjaneyar Kovil Vada. I served the dosa with Urad dal and sesame seeds chutney.
Follow me on Social Media
More Aunthentic Temple Prasadams
Step by Step Instructions to make Azhagar Dosai
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Originally, rice is soaked in water, drained and sun-dried. It is then pulsed to coarse texture. Urad dal is soaked and ground to batter and to this pounded rice is added and dosa is made.
- I took the easy route and soaked the rice and dal together for 4 hours. . Drain and grind them together along with pepper, cumin, ginger and curry leaves. Grind it to a coarse batter.
- Let the batter sit for 2 hours on the counter. Add salt to the batter, mix well. Heat a dosa pan, pour a ladle of batter in the center and spread it into a circle. Dot the edges with gingely oil. Once the edges turn brown, flip and cook the other side.
- Serve the dosa hot with your favorite side. I served it with urad dal and sesame seeds chutney.
Recipe for Azhagar koil Karuppu ulundu dosai
Black Urad Dal Dosa | Azhagar Koil Dosai
- Indian style mixie or any heavy blender
- ½ cup raw rice
- ½ cup Black urad dal/Karuppu ulundu
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- A small piece of ginger
- A handful of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash rice and dal and soak them together for 4hours. Drain and grind them together along with pepper, cumin, ginger and curry leaves. Do not grind the batter too fine. Let it be little coarse
- Originally the rice is soaked and sundried, then broken into fine powder. The urad dal batter is ground well and this rice powder is added to the batter and whisked well. But i was too lazy to soak and dry rice, followed the quick route of grinding it along with urad dal.
- Let the batter sit for 2 hours on the counter. Before making the dosa, add salt and mix well.
- Heat a dosa pan, pour a ladle of batter in the center and spread it into a circle. Pour a teaspoon of gingely oil around the corners.
- Be generous with gingely oil. Once the edges turn crisp and brown, flip and cook the other side for a minute. Remove the dosa from the tava and serve it along with your favorite chutney. I served it with Urad dal and sesame seeds chutney.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
The dosai can be made thick or thin. I made it thin and served it with a side of Urad dal sesame seeds chutney.