Vegetable sevai, a quick and easy breakfast recipe made with rice noodles and mixed vegetables. A popular south-indian breakfast dish, also vegan and gluten-free.Jump to Recipe
Sevai | Rice noodles
Sevai, also called shavige or santhagai/santhakai is nothing but simple rice noodles. Rice, soaked, ground, cooked, shaped, finally steamed and then shaped into thin, stringy noodles. Yes, sounds like a long process, but not as tough as it sounds.
Sevai vs Idiyappam
Whereas Idiyappam is served as such with a Ishtu, a delicious mixed vegetable gravy in coconut milk or just plain coconut milk and sugar.
Now-a-days we get readymade Idiyappams in the market, which can be crumbled to make sevai. Whenever i m out of ideas or lazy to make anything elaborate , i just buy a pack of readymade idiyappams and make sevai.
Some Interesting Sevai Flavors
- Coconut Sevai, Rice noodles tossed with fresh coconut and spices, from pavani of Cook's Hideout.
- Podi Sevai, Rice noodles tossed with homemade spice powder, from Srivalli of cooking for all seasons.
- Paruppu Sevai, Rice noodles tossed with moong dal and spices, from Harini of Tamalapaku.
- Morekuzhambu Sevai, Rice noodles topped with spiced buttermilk from Padmajah of Seduce your tastebuds.
- A packet of MTR instant rice sevai. I usually buy MTR brand, you also get 777 and concord brands. I have tried the same with concord also.
- Mixed vegetables, i have used potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, capsicums and french beans. My kids don't prefer green peas, so i haven't used in this recipe.
- Spice, i have used green chilies and some garam masala powder for spice and flavoring.
- Tempering, the regular tempering ingredients like mustard seeds, hing, and curry leaves are used in the recipe. We don't prefer adding chana dal and urad dal to the tempering, as it might become soggy while the vegetables are cooking.
- Garnish, a handful of fresh coriander leaves and few mint leaves.
Step by Step Instructions to make Perfect Sevai
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- To make Vegetable sevai, first we need to cook the rice sevai, according to the package instructions. Add the sevai to boiling water, let it cook for 5 minutes exactly. Take it off heat, let it sit covered for 1 minute exactly.
- Strain the sevai, and let it sit in a colander until it drains completely.
- In a pan, heat oil, temper with mustard seeds, chilies and curry leaves. Next add mixed vegetables, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt. Add enough water for the vegetables to cook. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the veggies are done, check whether there is any liquid left, if so, let it get dry almost. Now add the strained rice sevai to this and mix well. Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves and mint leaves. Let it sit for 5-8 minutes covered.
- Serve this vegetable sevai hot with a chutney of your choice. I served with Peanut & Sesame Chutney and some mango pickle.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Breakfast Recipes
Vegetable Sevai | Rice Noodles with Vegetables
- 1 pack MTR rice sevai 165 gram packet
- 2 cups mixed vegetables I have used potato, carrots, cauliflower, french beans and capsicums
- 3 nos green chilies, chopped fine
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped fine
- handful of fresh coriander leaves and few mint leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon oil I have used sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds/kadugu
- ⅛ teaspoon hing
- few curry leaves
- The first step is to cook the rice noodles, according to the package instructions. In a wide vessel, take 1.25 liters of water. Let it come to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to it.
- When the water starts to bubble, add the rice noodles to it. Let it be on the stove boiling for 5 minutes exactly. After 5 minutes, switch off the stove and keep it covered for a minute exactly. Keep a timer, and check, you don't want mashed noodles.
- After the said time, drain the noodles. Let it sit in a colander and drain completely.
Let us make vegetable sevai
- In a wide pan, Heat oil, temper it with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. To this add chopped green chilies and ginger and sauté.
- To this tempering, now add all the chopped vegetables. Saute for a minute.
- To this vegetables add turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well. Add ¼ cup of water for the vegetables to cook. Cover and cook in a medium flame for 8-10 minutes for the veggies to become tender.
- Once the veggies are done, check whether there is any water in the pan. If so, let it evaporate. Add the drained noodles and mix well.
- Let this cook for another 5-8 minutes for the flavors to mingle well. Finally garnish with corinader and mint leaves. Mix well and serve hot.
- Any leftovers can be refrigerated for a day in an air-tight container.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
This colorful and delicious vegetable sevai, can be served for breakfast or as dinner. At home somedays we have a late brunch with this healthy mixed vegetable rice noodles.