Sesame seeds ladoo, a quick and easy delicious recipe made with black sesame seeds and organic jaggery. A sweet recipe, that is also healthy and satiating.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
🍽️ What is a Ladoo/Laddu?
Ladoo or Laddu, a sphere-shaped sweet from the Indian subcontinent. They are usually made from flour, fat (ghee/butter/oil) and sugar.
Ladoos are one of the easiest dessert to make and they are versatile. You can almost make any flavor ladoo, your imagination is the limit. This colorful Gulkand stuffed ladoos is a favorite amongst my friends.
Ladoo | Healthy Energy Balls
Ladoo is a versatile dessert. It can be made to suit any particular dietary requirements. I have many friends who avoid gluten and diary for various health reasons. Having a dietary restriction, doesn’t mean that you have to stop enjoying your favorite dishes.
This delicious Ragi ladoos are gluten-free and vegan. Apple & Oats ladoo are made with fresh apples and sweetened with dates. These pistachios truffles, made with nuts and sweetened with dates, are a great snack post-workout. My personal favorite is this Oats & Almond bites.
These portion controlled small bites are easy to make and great snack to carry to work or to school. They are great gifts, that too for the health conscious friends who are mindful about what they eat.
🔖 An Old Recipe
Coming to today’s recipe of black sesame ladoo, an old recipe, i posted in 2009, when I started this blog. Blogging in those times, was pure fun. We clicked weird angle pictures and blabbered whatever we felt like writing, and we had people who would come and read the post and comment on it.
But now, blog post is more about SEO, heading, keywords, etc, etc. But we bloggers, still find some gaps where we can fit our blabbering and share some personal touch with our readers.
Why Sesame seeds?
Coming to the recipe, I use a lot of sesame seeds in my regular cooking. Do you know they have more calcium than milk? If you have a kid at home who doesn’t like milk, do not fret, just add 1-2 tbsp sesame seeds into their diet, every day. Thinking how to add? If Indian/asian, add it in your tempering, salads, chutneys/dips or make a delicious ladoo like this one.
📋 The Ingredients
- Black sesame seeds, the hero ingredient of the recipe. You can also make it with white sesame or mix equal amounts of both.
- Sweetener, I have used organic jaggery in this recipe. You can use white/brown sugar, coconut sugar, palm sugar etc. There might be a slight difference in the sweetness of these different sugars, so use accordingly.
- Desiccated coconut, though optional, I would recommend using, as it adds nice flavor.
- Cardamom and cloves, are used to flavor the ladoo.
💭How to make Sesame Ladoos
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions.
- Black sesame seeds, has to be washed to remove impurities and dried before using in this recipe. But if you are confident about the ingredient you are using, if they are organic and free from dust and impurities, then go ahead and use it as such.
- Dry roast sesame seeds, until they pop angrily 😁. Switch off the stove, add the desiccated coconut to this and roast for a minute. Remove the contents to another plate. Let this cool completely.
- Take this well cooled roasted ingredients along with cardamom, clove and jaggery powder into a mixer. Pulse grind until all comes together. Take care while grinding.
- If you grind continuously you will end with butter. So pulse grind, so the sesame is powdered and mixed well with jaggery.
- Transfer this to a flat plate, and shape them into balls by pressing them in your palms. They should shape very easily.
- I added 2 tbsp of white sesame while shaping, just to give them some texture. Store them in an air-tight container and enjoy.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Ladoo Recipes
Sesame Ladoo| Til Ladoo | Sesame Energy Balls
- Indian style mixie or any heavy blender
- ½ cup black sesame seeds
- ½ cup Organic jaggery powder I have used Dhatu brand
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 4 nos cardamom
- 2 nos clove
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds Garnish, optional
- Wash the sesame seeds in water, drain and either sun dry or oven dry them. If you are confident that the product you use is free from impurities, then skip this washing and drying and proceed to make the ladoo.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add the black sesame seeds, toast until they pop angrily.
- When they pop vigorously, switch off the heat and add the desiccated coconut to this. Coconut doesn't need much heat, it gets nicely toasted in the pan heat.
- Transfer the toasted ingredients into a flat plate. Do not leave them in the same pan, the pan heat might burn them. Let them cool down well.
- Take the well cooled ingredients in a mixer jar. Pulse grind it to a powder. Take care not to grind continuously, or else you might end up with sesame seeds butter.
- Transfer the ground mixture to a flat plate and shape them into balls. The number of ladoos depend on the size you shape them. I got around 10 ladoos for the above ingredients.
- I added 1 tbsp of white sesame seeds around half-way just to give some texture. The white sesame seeds pop out well in the black ladoos and make it attractive
- Store them in an air-tight container. They will keep good on the kitchen counter for 3-4 days. If you live in hot climate, and feel the coconut might turn rancid, then pls refrigerate.
- Washing and drying the sesame seeds is purely optional, if you are confident that the product is free from impurities.
- I have used jaggery powder in my recipe, it can be substituted with sugar, brown sugar etc.
- Let the toasted ingredients cool down well, before processing them.
- Pulse grind, do not grind continuously.
- The number of ladoos, depend upon the size of the ladoo.
The nutritional value given below is approximate. I have used https://happyforks.com/analyzer. Use it as a guidance.
These delicious and easy to make Til ladoos are an excellent snack and a lovely edible gift for any festive occasion.