How to make banarasi chooda matar | Easy peas poha | Winter special of UP | Chooda Matar | Churra Matar | Poha for Breakfast | Quick and Easy Poha Recipe | Matar Poha
Chura matar or chooda matar, a popular winter breakfast special from Uttara Pradesh State of India. Fresh green peas and rice flakes beautifully made into tempting dish that can be served for breakfast or as a snack anytime.
Table of contents
Banarasi Special Food
Uttar Pradesh, houses the Spiritual Capital of India Varanasi. The City of Gods, where The Ganges flows. The Ganges Aarthi is very famous ritual happening at the ghats. Though I m yet to see it in person, thanks to Discovery Channel, I watched it in one of their programs. You can find a video of the aarthi here.
When I wanted to cook something from Banaras, I went straight to Banaras ka Khana, Sangeeta Khanna's Blog. Her blog is a treasure trove of many authentic recipes from UP and neighboring states. The kachori's and kaddu ke subzi was so tempting, but, I chose to make the simple, flavorsome Chooda matar or Peas Poha.
Chura Matar : Winter Special
This simple and flavorful peas poha is a winter food served in all chaat corners of the city. Love the flavors of this simple matar poha. The warmth of pepper and ginger, travels through your body and envelopes you into a cozy feel. Once your try it, you will definitely understand why they prefer it during winter, the fresh peas and punchy pepper gives all the warmth needed for the season.
If you love to cook up a simple feast from UP, check this Simple Awadh Thali from My Kitchen trials. Try this winter special Matar ka Nimona.
Follow me on Social Media
Some famous Street Food from India
- Hyderabadi upma masala dosa - a lip-smacking street food from South-indian state.
- Matar Chat from the streets of Delhi
- Ram Ladoo | Gulgule
- Ghugni from Kolkatta
- Putharo from Meghalaya
- Banarasi Laiya Bhel
- Masala Pori from namma Chennai
- Katori Chat
Ingredients to make Peas Poha
- Main ingredient : Poha and peas. Use thick rice flakes. It absorbs liquid and also holds shape. Peas, i have used frozen peas here, but fresh peas are usually used as it is winter specialty.
- Spices : Freshly pounded black pepper and ginger are used as the main spice in this delish poha matar. Along with this garam masala and sugar are added to bring out more flavor.
- Tempering : Cumin seeds and green chili is used for tempering.
- Garnish : Squeeze of lemon juice .
Do you like this Poha? PIN IT
Recipe Card for Chooda Matar | Matar Poha
Banarasi Chooda Matar | Chura Matar | Peas Poha
- 1 cup thick poha/aval/rice flakes
- ¼ cup Fresh milk
- ¾ cup green peas i used frozen
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ cup freshly chopped coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon lime juice optional , i didn't use
- ½ teaspoon ghee/serving iI used only when serving for kids
- 2 teaspoon groundnut oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 no green chili cut into two
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Take poha/aval in a colander and wash it under running water for a minute. Let it drain completely. Soak the poha in milk for 10 minutes
- Heat a kadai with oil for tempering, crackle cumin seeds, add green chili, shredded ginger and sauté for a minute.
- Next add green peas, sugar, salt and garam masala. Mix well and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Since the I used frozen peas i just gave 4-5 minutes for the flavors to mingle and the peas to become soft. If using, fresh peas, cook until peas are cooked and soft.
- Once the peas are done, add the milk soaked poha to this, mix well. Add coriander leaves and freshly ground pepper, mix well. Let it sit on the stove for another 2 minutes
- Serve hot and feel the warmth of ginger and pepper, encapsulate your senses.
- You can add a squeeze of lemon to add an extra zing in your poha. While serving for kids, add ½ teaspoon of ghee/serving to match the pepper and ginger in the dish.
- Serve this delish Poha matar with a cup of Adeni Chai for a blissful meal. If you love some crispy toppings check this Boondi and Ompodi/sev.
More Poha Recipes
- If you love poha, check this protein rich Paneer Poha and simple lemon poha for a quick meal or snack anytime.
- During winters we love this Pepper poha too, that gives a warm feeling in every bite.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
The Pumpkin Farm
i am making this soon especially for hubby who is fed up of regular poha
Looks very interesting n simple wud love to try....
Beautiful breakfast, looks quick and simple to prepare anytime, i dont mind adding few more veggies to this fantastic dish.
I had shortlisted this ..for its simplicity and simple flavors, but somehow did not make it..it actually looks so good , must make it soon now!
Nice variation for poha. Fresh milk and poha with savory peas and spices is a very different combination.
Never tried this way of chewda. Interesting combo, thanks for sharing.
that is so simple and so delicious... love it Priya..
What a simple, yet filling breakfast! Your pictures are amazing Priya..I am not sure which angle looks best, everything does..:)
simple and yet filling! love it!
Poha with green peas looks colorful and delicious. Lovely clicks.
love this quickrrr dish 🙂 bright, easy and tasty. The paper doily (or is it cloth?) under the bowl looks super cute. lovely pictures
Very delicious and easy poha recipe !
Such a comforting and healthy breakfast,looks so tempting...
Lovely breakfast. Poha is made in so many states with slight variations. Yummy
all these poha dishes I have been seeing - I really have to try this poha and try some of them
Wow wjhat a great presentation. Love teh poha too.