Potato & Capsicum cashew masala, a delicious vegan side-dish, that can be paired with flatbreads and rice.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
The beets paratha which i posted yesterday were paired with this yummy capsicum & potato cashew masala. We at home love potatoes, i bet most of the human kind love potatoes, the rest who hate them should be classified as aliens living amongst us.
Seriously, if you hate potatoes then you must have never tasted anything delicious with them, that is why the hate. At home, we eat potatoes in every form, as curry, as bread, in breads, boiled, fried, smashed, smeared, with chili, with pepper, with jeera, as jhol, as a dry curry, with ras, without ras , crisp and crunch, this list can go endless.
Potato & Capsicum Cashew Masala
This curry with capsicum and cashew nut is another delicious way we enjoy our potatoes. The mildly spiced, semi gravy with tender potatoes, and perfectly sautéed capsicums tastes out of the world. Pair it with roti’s or with rice, you are going to make them again and again in your kitchen.
Usually, rich masala curries have cream added to make it more creamy and luscious. Not everyone, like creamy curries, i for one, prefer my curries a bit liquidy so the bread can soak up some liquid, same with my lil one he likes his curries a bit runny.
In this potato capsicum masala, instead of adding cream, i have used cashew-nuts in the gravy. Cashews blended with sautéed tomato and onion gives the needed richness and also adds volume to the curry.
How to make Potato & Capsicum &Cashew Masala
Please check the Recipe card below for the exact measurements and detailed instructions on how to make this delicious curry.
- Chop all the veggies accordingly, parboil the potatoes, drain and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil, saute roughly chopped onions, chili and garlic until translucent, then add tomatoes, saute until they lose their shape and turn mush.
- Now add the cashewnuts and water, let it be on stove for 5 minutes. Turn off. Blend this smooth once it cools down.
- In a pan, heat oil, add tempering, saute capsicums, next add parboiled/raw potatoes. Add the ground masala, throw in the spice powders and salt.
- Cook until rawness escapes and the curry reaches the desired consistency, takes around 10-15 minutes depending on whether it is cooked potatoes/raw potatoes added.
- Serve this delicious curry with flatbreads or rice.
Potato & Capscicum Cashew Masala | Vegan Side-dish
- 1 no large potato or 2 medium sized potatoes peeled, chopped into cubes and parboiled
- 2 nos capsicums, medium sized cut into cubes
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp freshly pounded coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¾ tsp salt or to taste
Sauté & Ground into paste
- 1 tsp oil i used coconut oil, any cooking oil can be used
- 1 no large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 nos tomatoes medium-sized, roughly chopped
- 1 no green chili
- 2 nos cloves of garlic
- 8 nos cashews
- ½ cup water
- Prepare all the veggies, wash them and chop accordingly. Wash, peel and cube the potatoes and parboil them. This step is absolutely optional, i have tried both ways of parboiling prior and cooking directly in the liquid. The former might reduce the time a bit, but taste-wiseit is the same. Go ahead and use the method that suits you best
- In a pan, add oil, when it is hot add roughly chopped onions, garlic and green chili. Sauté until onions are translucent. Next add chopped tomatoes and sauté.
- Let the tomatoes lose their shape, it might take around 2-3 minutes, add the cashew-nuts to this, add 1/4 cup of water ,cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Take it off the stove and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- I usually use my stick blender for blending masala paste for my curries. So i don't mind when it is hot. If you are using your normal blender, kindly let the ingredients cool well or else you might end splattering hot liquid all over you.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the onion-tomato mix and blend it to soupy consistency. Once done, keep aside.
- Now in the same pan, add another tsp of oil, add cumin and chopped capsicums to it and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Next add the parboiled/raw potatoes to this and sauté for a minute. Add turmeric to this and mix well.
- Now add the blended onion & tomato cashew liquid to this. Add red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
- If potatoes are parboiled :let the curry cook without covering for 8-10 minutes. Once done, finally add the garam masala and let it sit for 2 more minutes in heat.
- If the potatoes are not parboiled : Cover and cook for 8 minutes and let the potatoes cook well, then uncover and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- I served them with beets paratha for my kids lunch.
Enjoy this delicious curry with potatoes and capsicum with flatbreads or even with rice. I paired them with Beets paratha for my kids lunch.
Dry Potato Subzi
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter